Math..lacking subject in congress

All that is political goes here. If the board says you don't have permission, join the Jr. Politician usergroup and then you too can share in the political discussions. Contact hypo if you have any problems accessing this fourm.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Math..lacking subject in congress

Post by Berserker »

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/index.p ... id=2346644

This is part of the republican plan that has to do with federal worker pay. I want to pull your attention to one piece of it:

"Salaries for federal workers continue to outpace pay for their private-sector counterparts. Average wages in the federal civilian workforce ($74,311 in 2010) far eclipse the $49,777 median wages in private industry."

First off, there is a pretty good article on politifact.com about wages, but what I am here to point out is that they are comparing an average with a median. How did these guys pass 1st grade math class???

Lets say we pick 9 numbers: 5, 10, 15, 15, 15, 50, 55, 60, 70.

So an average of these 9 numbers is (5+10+15+15+15+50+55+60+70)/9 = 295/9 = 32.8
Now, lets look at the median of these numbers: It is simply the middle number when you line them all up in increasing order. In this case it is: 15

So now, 15 vs 34.4 is a very very big difference and as you can see it measures completely different things.

So this morons are now comparing the average salary of a fed with the median salary of private industry. IT IS A MEANINGLESS COMPARISON!

I call bullshit!
My love for you is like a truck..
MorGrendel
Warlord

Re: Math..lacking subject in congress

Post by MorGrendel »

I forget who said it, but you can prove anything with numbers.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

yeah, hehe. It's particularly true when it comes to statistics. Infamouse for charts and graphs that tell you what you want to hear ;)
My love for you is like a truck..
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

John Kyl just took a shit on my lawn and hold me to put it in my pipe and smoke it.

#NotIntendedAsAFactualStatement
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

I was totally going to post a story about numbers and Kyl, but when you Google numbers and Kyl all you get are his top ten man/boy love sites.
#NotIntendedAsAFactualStatement
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.