Caucuses and Primaries

All that is political goes here. If the board says you don't have permission, join the Jr. Politician usergroup and then you too can share in the political discussions. Contact hypo if you have any problems accessing this fourm.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Caucuses and Primaries

Post by MorGrendel »

My thoughts as it goes.

IOWA: Santorum wins, well actually Romney, but by only 5 votes. A Romney loss may have seriously derailed his campainge. The news cycle, however, will revovle around Santorum. Where did he come from? I want to like Santorum, but he his a heavy blinker (you may remember that was a critisim I had of Obama). Paul came in a close third, doubling his last finish, absorbing a lot of "Romney Country". Romney does a great job equating himself to Obama, and sending the message that he is the only one that can beat Obama. Perry may have quit after an abysmal finish, good riddance. Best news of the night, IMHO. I don't think Bachmann has any legs after her poor finish in her home state (see Edwards), so it may be a 4 horse race by SC; Romney, Paul, Santorum, and Gingrich. (Huntman needs to win NH to stay in, I think, and I think NH should go to Romney handedly) --- All this said, Iowa does not actually select its reps until june.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Re: Caucuses and Primaries

Post by Fritz »

Santorum is a gay-bashing ass hole who was rightly kicked out of the Senate by his constituents. Google his name and this is rightly the first thing that pops up: http://spreadingsantorum.com/

Give me Romney or Paul PLEASE. Paul is at least consistent and Romney at least has a brain. That way if they beat Obama I can feel OK.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

What i predict will happen is that Romney will win the nomination, and Ron Paul will run as an independent. That will split the republican vote guaranteeing Obama a win =)
My love for you is like a truck..
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

I don't know. I don't see Newt going away. He's not as rich as Romney, but he has as many friends and he's Fox's Darling. He also sells the "Good 'Ol days" which I can see being very appealing to some. Finally, Newt made his pay destroying peoples reputations back when he is the majority leader.

I think he is biding his time. I think he will poke the bear a little going into NH hoping to unnerve Romney and get him to say something other than his stump speech* , but then really turn it on** come Florida and win Florida. Then he will die down again, and snipe Romney's character until the time is right to strike. I think Newt's people are smarter than Romney's and know how to position him to win. The best/worst part about it, is they can't attack Newt because he just did what they did but better/worse. Unless, Newt is just doing this to sell another book, I can see him being a real problem for Romney.

* I cannot believe how unimaginative this guy is, can someone please flip the tape? I heard this already.
** And by it, I mean attack ads. For now though, Newt will keep pointing out how much money Romney has and how he only uses it to buy attack ads.
Mor Grendel

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Paul will not run as an Independant. He's just speading the message. You have to love when Romney gives the same same speech, Paul invited a soldier up to finish his point after CNN "lost" the signal while talking to him.
Mor Grendel

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

MorGrendel wrote:Paul will not run as an Independant. He's just speading the message. You have to love when Romney gives the same same speech, Paul invited a soldier up to finish his point after CNN "lost" the signal while talking to him.
He better not have been wearing a uniform. It would be illegal to show up to a political event to endorse a candidate while in uniform.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

D'oh!
Mor Grendel

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

Yeah...that's very very illegal.

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

I'm not being funny or rude, but do you know the history about why it's a (military) law?
Mor Grendel

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

MorGrendel wrote:I'm not being funny or rude, but do you know the history about why it's a (military) law?
I don't know the history, but the purpose is to avoid endorsement of any particular party or politician. We're supposed to be strictly neutral as an organization because we have to respect the winner as the commander-in-chief, even if that's not what actually happens. The reality of the situation is there is a complete lack of professionalism. It actually blows my mind just how much disrespect is shown toward the president and how much my superiors not only tolerate it, but encourage it.

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Thanks. That's kinda what I was wondering. There must be some concern about the vitrial nature of politics tearing the army into factions. I was just wondering if said rule is preemptive or if it had a historic president in this country.
Mor Grendel

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

New Hampshire:
Serban, I know you have concerns about Paul's views towards Social Security, and I could not answer all your questions the other night. However, it did come up in the last debate.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/meet-the-pre ... 4#45918004
31:10
Paraphrase - "Cut the first 1 trillion without touching Social Security, focus on cutting overseas spending."
Mor Grendel

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

Thanks Jeff. That does help.
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

MorGrendel wrote:Thanks. That's kinda what I was wondering. There must be some concern about the vitrial nature of politics tearing the army into factions. I was just wondering if said rule is preemptive or if it had a historic president in this country.
Oh there's really not any political factions. It'd throw a rough estimate that 75% of the Army is pretty damned conservative, so there's really no potential for splitting the Army. However I would split the Army about 50/50 into these two groups:
1) Ultra conservatives that talk about how we should just "go apeshit on Afghanistan for a week" or "nuke Pakistan," really think Obama was born in Kenya, and sincerely believe that the healthcare bill instituted death panels.
2) Everybody else who has the decency and common sense to realize that talking about politics in an environment that is EXTREMELY affected by what goes on in Washington is just going to end up pissing people off.

I did however, manage to play Rob Riggle's epic Daily Show piece on when Berkeley was protesting the Marine recruiting station without incident. They loved that shit. They're still randomly shouting "HIPPIES! HIPPIES!" two weeks later.

Captain Tightpants