Santorum is Out

All that is political goes here. If the board says you don't have permission, join the Jr. Politician usergroup and then you too can share in the political discussions. Contact hypo if you have any problems accessing this fourm.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Santorum is Out

Post by MorGrendel »

Santorum has suspended his run due to the health of his daughter.
http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ ... paign?lite
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Re: Santorum is Out

Post by Berserker »

Do his votes get distributed to the remaining candidates?
My love for you is like a truck..
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

No, I think the way it works is since he "suspended" he keeps his delegates, including any he earns after this point. At the convention he can back another canidate and essentially pledge his delegates to them or he can also resign, at which point the Santorum delegates can vote for anyone.

Partly this is Paul's strategy, delegates are only bound to a canidate for one vote; so should Romney not get the required number of votes (or as the media calls them "delegates") on the first vote, delegates are free to vote for who ever they want after that. Paul feels some will come over to him.

And I'm sure you are saying why does that crazy old man think that. Well, primary votes don't necessarily equal delgates. Take Missouri: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... gates.html. Santorum won, but Paul walked away with the most delegates.

Got to go, will finish thought later.
Mor Grendel

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

That's actually a viable strategy. If nothing else, it's a way to get something in return from the front runner for your delegates.
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

(from Paul site)
Yesterday, Minnesota held three district conventions.

Our campaign swept all three - winning nine delegates to the Republican National Convention in Tampa!

And in Colorado, I picked up 12 delegates and 13 alternate delegates, as my campaign pushed a "unity slate" with Rick Santorum's supporters that ended up with 20 total delegates - while Mitt Romney only walked away with 16 delegates!

The Denver Post even called it a "stunning upset."

With Rick Santorum having suspended his campaign, I'm sure we can persuade more of those delegates over to our side.

I'm also proud that two of my Colorado supporters will serve on the Rules Committee at the National Convention.
Mor Grendel

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

He's waay behind and he's not catching up fast anough. 20 vs 16 is not anough. Mitt is ahead by over 650 delegates... I don't think you have much hope to see Ron as the nominee this election.