Post election

All that is political goes here. If the board says you don't have permission, join the Jr. Politician usergroup and then you too can share in the political discussions. Contact hypo if you have any problems accessing this fourm.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Thomas Fitzcharles
Galatian

Post election

Post by Thomas Fitzcharles »

Good Day, Serban Fritz and Gregor.

On, seeing the election results, as a conservative as you may assume I am a little depressed. I would like to feel a little better about this election. As liberals I am assuming you are all feeling pretty happy. I was hoping one or all of you could explain to me why the next four years will be better and I should be happy. Maybe we could sit and have a beer and I'll keep mum and you could explain it all to me. I did ask another liberal friend, but they only blamed bush for wars, said the mean rich will now get the theirs and Rommey was to religious and women will have the right to abortions. I am serious here, not kidding around or making light. But after four years. The economy and forgien affairs are in worst shape, there is dead lock in congress, the debt and defict are at all time highs and growing. I know, I know not all president obamas fault, But it was and is his watch. What will president obama do now ? He is in charge for good or bad.

Sincerely

Thomas
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Re: Post election

Post by Berserker »

Well, in the near term (end of the year) there are three issues that will have a high impact on the country (there is the threat of a lower rating of the country from Fitch in play):
1. The sequestration laws
2. The tax cuts expiration laws
3. The debt ceiling increase

No matter if Romney or Obama was elected, these three things will beon the congress's shoulders. If the congress continues to be disfunctional as in the last years, then nothing will get done (no matter who the president is or would have been). So what we need to watch for is if Boehner and Reid can get something done.

-----
As to answer your question and try to make you happy, I cannot. Any answer I may give you about what Obama may do or why I didn't vote for Romney, will be perceived as a liberal talking point which you will reject. Much like if I asked you what Romney would have done to make the country better and any answer you would have given me would have been a conservative talking point. And we've heard both sides of these talking points ad nauseum for the past 6 months (thank god the robocalls are over!).

But I have a hope that with the election over, the rethoric will also come down as the incentive to be contrary to the opposition is over (for the near term at least) and perhaps there will actually be some cooperation going on. In the end, cooperation will be the only thing that will get anything done.
My love for you is like a truck..
Thomas Fitzcharles
Galatian

Good Day, Serban.

Thanks for the reply. I agree you are most likely right. Are you going to horse war?

Sincerely

Thomas
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

The economy and forgien affairs are in worst shape
So I think the crux of your dissastifaction is rooted in the statement above. I think those are the two places that you may be able to find some solice. First, the economy. So here is my positive spin: Bush's Administration attempted to slow down the rapid inflation with rebates, as had his predesessors. During this time unemployment raised, but it was not a primary concern, until 9/11 and the beginning of the resession. Measures were taken by Bush (let's agree some good some bad) and further measures were then taken by Obama's Administration (again, let's agree some good some bad). The upside here is that re-elected Presidents tend to govern with a long view in mind which promote stability, and so we are only now experiencing some of what Bush planned for and when the "double dip" hits in 2013, many of Obama's programs will be coming into affect. We sometimes forget how slow government can be. Additional, a re-elected president generally boosts the economy as it means that people "believe" the economy is "good" and are more likely to invest. Finally, Obama spoke to the connection between the cost of energy and unemployment and inflation. I think he has a real plan to invest in all forms of energy which will create jobs and protect the US (somewhat) against a global energy shortage. That said, it is a little scary how 2013 is starting to already look a lot like 1973. I think in 40 years, history will view Obama as a Conservative President. (Please don't throw your PC)

As for the world a much shorter answer. When polled every country polled selected Obama over Romney except one: Pakistan. Fuck Pakistan! They are still bitter over us killing our most hated enemy which they were supposed to help us find. And even then it's no landslide:
Pakistan is the only country in the survey that prefers a Romney presidency. Fourteen percent of polled Pakistanis would vote Republican, against 11 percent Democrat. Seventy-five percent of Pakistanis do not favor either candidate.
In a global enconomy, its good if the world likes us. And if the world likes Obama, you should too. (Gag!) Back to drinking the cool-aid.

Here's a link to the aforementioned story if you want it:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... 66972.html
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Thomas Fitzcharles
Galatian

Good Day, Jeff.

Thanks, where I do agree with some of what you said. President Obama got re-elected with the worst econmic fundimentals of any president. So all though people may believe the economy is getting better. None of the data is really showing that. I think people just like him. As far as the world liking him more then Rommey I do agree. But, I think our adversaies see him as weaker then the past presidents so they are bound to like that. I can only hope he and Boehner can work togather now, as they have not been able to in the past. Reid should not come into it if the President Obama is the true leader of his party and leads from the front. I hope he will spend his politcal capital he gained from his win in a way that benefits us all!

Sincerely

Thomas