Activism and smoking laws

All that is political goes here. If the board says you don't have permission, join the Jr. Politician usergroup and then you too can share in the political discussions. Contact hypo if you have any problems accessing this fourm.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Activism and smoking laws

Post by MorGrendel »

Activism and smoking laws.
It's a quick read, but nothing earth shattering.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robwaters/2 ... ave-lives/
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Re: Activism and smoking laws

Post by Berserker »

I'm glad smoking is being reduced so much. I think I heard something about trying to raise the smoking age to 21 too. I'd be all for it.
My love for you is like a truck..
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Not me. I figure if you are old enough to fight and die for this country, then you deserve a beer and a smoke. Now, a zero-tolerance at school might be OK.
Mor Grendel

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

Why stop there? If you're old enough to die for your country you should be allowed to do drugs.
My love for you is like a truck..
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Illegal drugs, no. Legal drugs, yes. And I would extend that to pot use in Colorado, but I'm sure other might disagree. And if the military had a rule against that, I'd also be OK with that, because a solider would know that going in.

Cigarettes and Beer are still legal, and for a lot of years 18 year olds were not disenfranshised. Actually, it wasn't until 1988 that most states bumped up the age up to 21, when the Fed threaten to withhold funding. I don't have an issue with the raising of the age, but much like the smoking laws, I wish the end result came from laws written by the people, not fed machinations.

I also don't understand how someone can be considered mature enough to kill people, but not to gamble. Or vote, but be prohibitted from leaving school. I foresee several states revisiting the age of majority in my lifetime. However, the definition of "adult" continues to change, so I really can't say if that age will be raised or lowered. Personally, the more I learn about the brain, the higher I think it should be. Even the NBA believes a player should be out of high school for a year before being drafted.
Mor Grendel

Thomas Fitzcharles
Galatian

Post by Thomas Fitzcharles »

Good Day, All.

Yeah, more laws and regulations, who needs personal responsibility when we can have the government telling us what to do from crib to grave. We will all be safe from ourselves. We will never have to make another decision for our self, thank-you mister government.

Sincerely

Thomas