Tracking my recycling

All that is political goes here. If the board says you don't have permission, join the Jr. Politician usergroup and then you too can share in the political discussions. Contact hypo if you have any problems accessing this fourm.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Tracking my recycling

Post by MorGrendel »

How long before everything we do is monitored? So I'm not sure how I feel about this. Well, for trash, I'm generally OK . . . until they start taxing by the pound or fining for mixing recyclables. Can't say that the FAQ gives me warm fuzzies. I don't like the idea of a RFID in my car monitoring where I've been, except if it was used to control speeding (Speed is the number #1 factor in accidents). Thoughts.

http://www.aacounty.org/DPW/WasteManage ... -uB9fldXuQ
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Re: Tracking my recycling

Post by Fritz »

They seem pretty damned open about it. The technology when it is used is done to increase efficiency. It can't track what you recycle, but it can track how much, allowing the county to alter routes and trucks to better use their work force to it's max potential. If certain houses recycle less, then one truck done cover more ground based on the statistics gathered. Considering all the info you give Google/apple/Microsoft, the amount you recycle is a laughable concern.

And even if you want to stay super paranoid, there is this:
Customers are under no obligation to use this cart or any County-provided recycling cart for their curbside collections. Simply call the Recycling Division at 410-222-7951 and our staff will gladly arrange to pickup or exchange your unwanted cart, container or bin. Your request will be honored for any reason with no questions asked.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Perhaps they are being transparent, but they don't discuss what happens when their "current plan" changes. Also $50,000 spent on "no plan." I think I'd feel better with a plan.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

MorGrendel wrote:Perhaps they are being transparent, but they don't discuss what happens when their "current plan" changes. Also $50,000 spent on "no plan." I think I'd feel better with a plan.
That I agree with. Seems like a waste of money more than anything.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants