Tale of Four Gamers

Tales of battles, princesses, horses, swords and wizards..in a table-top setting.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Re: Tale of Four Gamers

Post by Fritz »

MorGrendel wrote:HE = no choice??? You mean the list with effective war machines, big AND little flyers, knights AND Chariots, and superior spellcasters. I'd kill for that variety. Or do you mean you have no choice because you have Greatweapons that always strike first, or magic spears that work of the charge that don't work for others, and so you have to take them.

Much like skaven, if I did an undead army it would be a giantic shambling hoard . . . Deadites from army of darkness to be exact. Actually, as a counter-point that could make for a pretty cool Empire army. Instead of a steam tank you have a steam powered car with a whirling blade on it. And you'd have to model Ash and Eric the Red. Shoot, anyone got a ton of cash to loan me. :)

BTW, Fritz, what do you think of Desert Yellow as a base for undead? Hmmm, actually probably already been done on Khemri armies.
I was referring to the core choices. Sorry for not being clear. There are archers, spearmen, and....archer/spearmen.

I love the variety in the rest of the army, but it's not as great as you seem to think. The single war machine is hardly effective, costs 10 points more than your WLC, and only has 2 wounds. That said, the rest of the army does have a fair amount of choice, but the problem usually comes in that everything is a freakin special choice. I'd love to have a rare choice that wasn't Eagles (which are awesome) or bolt throwers (which are fairly useless). It's a minor issue though. Despite most choices being slightly over-pointed, the book is still pretty solid.

Oh and stop crying about "lack of choice" in Skaven. Skaven have 3 more unit types than High Elves. Plus, you have things that aren't toughness 3.

And yes, I've seen Tomb Kings armies with Desert Yellow bases. My undead army was originally all about the shambling horde. However, that was back when they were 8 points per model before upgrades. They're now 5 points.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

I was actually thinking Lizardmen for variety, though Skaven Core is hamstrung by the fact Rats and swarms don't count towards core minimum, and there ain't much difference between a slave and a clan rat.

I don't really mind any of my armies variety. I mind my die rolls. Summary of last night:
Magic roll, Double 1s
Cast Plauge with 12 on 4 dice (2 warp stone tokens) (8 from dice, 4 from level) - last good thing to happen.
5 misfires
Every other magic roll was 3/4 and 1. So I only ever had one extra die.
While fighting a giant with one wound left, Stormvermin fail fear test on an 11, break from combat on an 11, and are run down.

I know Jason will argue that I should not sent my Plague monks after the trolls, but all of Plague magic works in HTH. I only needed wither to work to wound on 4s with a ton of attacks. Add to that, the banner to reroll misses and wounds and I thought I had something to overcome the 4+ regen. I thought I'd get more than 4 wounds to start. I was wrong, but it was the best I had at the moment. Blood and glory put them real close, real fast.

For the yellow, I was actually thinking on the model itself, so maybe it has not been used to much because people have used it for basing. So, White undercoat, Desert Yellow Base, Sepia wash, light Black Wash, 1:1 Yellow/Bleach bone main color, 1:1 Bleach Bone/White Highlight, White second highlight/edges.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Oh and for the paint, I think you can swap the sepia for green or purple to get different necrotic/otherworldly effect.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.