Die Rolling

Tales of battles, princesses, horses, swords and wizards..in a table-top setting.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Die Rolling

Post by MorGrendel »

I was reading a thread regarding dice rolling and saw this.
The final thing ive seen disputes over is how to pick up rolled dice. I prefer to pick up any misses/failed wounds and leave any successful rolls on the table for my opponent to see, then I can count them or roll the next batch easily. It has the duel effect of having a clear record of how many successes there are and ensuring there can be no sleight of hand. However, ive seen plenty of people pick up successes, easily causing confusion. I wont usually complain to someone doing that, but it can be annoying.
I do as discribed above, but I know others do it differently. How do you do it?
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Re: Die Rolling

Post by Fritz »

I pick up the failures for exactly those reasons.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

same
My love for you is like a truck..
hypo
Galatian Citizen

Post by hypo »

Funny I didn't even think about that. I would push failures to the side and pick up the GOOD dice and roll them again. Thinking there must be some luck in them. But when i play again I will keep this in mind.
hýÞö, Aka-Guðmundr Feitrháls Þórsson, Aka-Nugget. Aka-Cramman Ruithais
The Order of Ansuz
Citizen of Galatia
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

I think you're doing what's expected. You push failures to the side (aka, you pick up the failures). That leaves the successes on the table (so the guy you're playing against sees them). Then you can pick them up and roll them again for wounds of whatnot.

What i think is frowned upon is picking successes from the pile outright leaving behind the failures (so the guy you're playing doesn't actually get to see the 6s, only the 1s left behind).
My love for you is like a truck..
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

I don't know that I ever realized it, but certain players always ticked me off with the way they rolled, i.e. not like me. Since, I've always had some kind of poison, it was natural to leave successes (to prove the hit auto-wounded), so I don't know that I realized what was happening.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.