And you guys hated High Elves...

Tales of battles, princesses, horses, swords and wizards..in a table-top setting.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Re: And you guys hated High Elves...

Post by MorGrendel »

They got some big cart for a medusa head or something . . . although clash of the titans proved you can look at the reflection of medusa, just not medusa herself. So double fail.

I so wanted to add a cockatrice to my army. . . I wish they had a flying carpet or cloak of feathers big enough for a carnasaur. Instead I got a giant bipedal dinosaur that shares stats with a skink and spits. Weeping.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

Yeah...the medusa thing is...wierd.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

Oh man the nerd rage is strong over on Ulthuan.net. I see some of their points. For instance, a Lion Cloak and the Sea Dragon Cloak are fairly similar in wear and (according to the fluff) toughness. However, for some inexplicable reason a High Elf is incapable of getting protection from it in close combat, but a Dark Elf can. It's not a big deal on the units since Corsairs and White Lions are appropriately costed. However, when it comes to characters, Dark Elves can pretty much start with a 3+ before even getting a shield (Heavy Armor plus 5+ scaly skin from the Sea Dragon Cloak). Dark Riders can carry shields and Reavers can't. Their move and fire chariot bolt thrower is S7, ours is only S5. Shades get options for 2 hand weapons or great weapons. Shadow Warriors don't.

However, as I've already said here, I'm starting to see the vulnerabilities. Interestingly enough, High Elves are in a perfect position to exploit these vulnerabilities. I think I need to right a blog post.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

Do any of us have a dark elf army?
My love for you is like a truck..
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

To quote Jeff: "We don't know any BOLS reading, mom's basement living, internet girlfriend having, fanboy friends."

I for one, however, would love to see someone play them. High Elf v Dark Elf matches are always great games.

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Fritz wrote:To quote Jeff: "We don't know any BOLS reading, mom's basement living, internet girlfriend having, fanboy friends."
Your friend sounds like a genius!

I like the line more than I used to, though it's all a little to Dark Eldar looking to me. (BTW, I got a pile of unassembled Dark Eldar around here somewhere)
I am a little piqued and I like the look of more things than I thought I would, but I think the next army for me will be Chaos Deamons. That has to be a fun army to model and paint.

Or maybe I should finish my Tyranids first. I might be more motivated if I had a rule book.
Mor Grendel

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Fritz wrote:love to see someone play them. High Elf v Dark Elf
Wait a minute. Elf on Elf love. Did you ever live in your parent's basement?
Mor Grendel

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

MorGrendel wrote:
Fritz wrote:love to see someone play them. High Elf v Dark Elf
Wait a minute. Elf on Elf love. Did you ever live in your parent's basement?
They don't have a basement.

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Really, I could have sworn there was a door in the kitchen . . .

However, you may be off the hook. I was speaking about the army for mouth-breathing, fingernail poish-wearing, brest-obsessed, "I play MATURE Online Video games" people, and Chris showed some interest in the DE. Though, he seemed more interested in converting the bits to his Eldar too. . . But he did point out that their are two Khemri armies in the mix and zero Dark Elves.

Personally, I think we need more evil armies, we all are good/neutral guys, and as such, chose good armies. (Funny, I don't see Orcs as Evil, but Gobins I do. Maybe its the Squigs...)
Mor Grendel

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

I agree we need some evil up in here. I've considered going back to Vampire Counts from time to time. The army I had built around the Storm of Chaos army of Sylvania had a very hard time converting to 8th edition, so I ended up trading the army to Jason. A Strigoi-themed Ghoul and Crypt Horror army offers so much visually it's hard to pass up. Chaos just irritates me, so I can't see doing them.

The problem is I'm trying to actually paint armies before I start new ones. I've found a paint/wash combo that makes Salamander Space Marines super easy, which as also gotten me to re-think my approach to High Elves. I'm working on a technique that might make them faster and easier as well. I'd also like to actually build a Romans army, either as a "counts as" Empire army or through the army book I've created (after we've worked out the balance issues). So Vampires unfortunately sit at the tail end of all that. I love the models, especially the Crypt Horrors, Terrorgheist, and Mortis Engine, but I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it.

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

I was just looking at Roman models the other day, I should have posted the link. Vamps seem cool and that big tall thing they got is impressive. I think I've always bee more drawn to the Strigoi myself. I actually had a thought for a celic vamp army full of banshees, fen beasts, and various WE models converted to be haunted horrors.

However, I think I've been called to raise a Deamon Tzeench army. I've never understood Chaos Warriors. Gotrex should kill their armorer, then the war is over. Khorne is stupid.

But first . . .
Finish Gutter Runner Conversion
Paint HPAs
20 more Storm Vermin
20 more Plague Monks
Slaves?

Bastildon
Tettoko' Eko (they really should have made panaquins a mount for skink priest in general)
Flying Old Blood, because it would be awesome. Reaper has some cool models, but I might try a Savage Orc(large chest and back)/Tyranid(wings)/Kroxigor conversion. I think he'll need a ward for cannons :)
Ripperdactyls (I hate that name)

So just a bit.
Mor Grendel

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

I want beastmen. One day. Maybe after they re-do their army book and add more monsters..if they redo their army book..
My love for you is like a truck..
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

You want MORE monsters out of beastmen?! They already have Giants, Cygors, Ghorgons, and Jabberslythes. Add in monstrous infantry and beasts, they also have razorgors, minotaurs, and chaos spawn. That's a pretty good selection. The army book is lackluster, but if models are what you're looking for, they're pretty fantastic. The plastic minotaurs and the dual ghorgon/cygor kit both look great.

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Huh, I thought they still had Drangon Ogres in Beastmen. Guess not.

Hmmm, Serban, how about http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od1870056a
You could use them in place of Mournfangs. Just a thought.
Mor Grendel

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

They used to, but now all they have is the Shaggoth in their Lord choices. For some inexplicable reason they took away Dragon Ogres and gave them to Warriors of Chaos.

Captain Tightpants