50% Lords here to stay

Tales of battles, princesses, horses, swords and wizards..in a table-top setting.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Re: 50% Lords here to stay

Post by Berserker »

Hmm, the rule in the book doesn't specify that the enemy spells are bounced, but just that spells are bounced. I didn't see that faq rule. Perhaps that's why I've been playing with it also bouncing my own spells. Certainly that makes it better, but I still see no use besides in gut stars as you mentioned.

I guess you all are arguing that one nastiest combination possible. I'm arguing the combinations that I play which are never the tournament lists and never seem to be that nasty. I have in this ogre army over 40 army lists made up, and none have cats in them. I think I will make a few that use the 50% rule as well. I want to see how many hunters riding thundertusks I can bring along with the 2 giants I have ;)

As for that link, that was games in Europe. The US had very few in the sample size. I didn't think of the comp angle. That probably does make a difference in the ratings. It does track a ton of competitions though so it's a very good sample size to see how armies do. I think that's a much better gage then banter on warseer or other boards.
My love for you is like a truck..
lilscutt
Galatian Citizen

Post by lilscutt »

Fritz what are your feelings on dark elves?
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

I haven't played in so long I'm forgetting all the rules. We really need to get a game going..
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

Dark Elves are quite powerful. Sometimes as a High Elf player I feel like anything I can do they can do better. Their fighting characters are straight up better thanks to the sea dragon cloak being far superior to the white lion cloak despite being the same cost. They have monsters in special, Witch Elves in core, and Doomfire Warlocks are a fantastic unit. I came up with a list of nothing but Hydras, Doomfire Warlocks, Cold One Knights, and Dark Riders, backed up by some bolt thrower and repeater crossbowmen, and led by a Supreme Sorceress. It's pretty damned cheesy and would work pretty well in the current meta. There is a reason they're highly regarded both on Serban's site and the general internet scuttlebutt. They have all the tools to dominate in the current power gaming meta.

However, while Dark Elves do very well against other armies, I feel like their Achilles Heel is actually other Elves. The basic High Elf Archer is actually a bit superior to the Darkshard by having longer range and being 2 points cheaper. The Darkshards have more shots and armor piercing, but in a shooting match with High Elf Archers of equivalent points, they would most likely lose. They also don't really have an answer for Phoenix Guard. Their mirror, Black Guard, are way overcosted for what they do. The ultimate trump card is the Frostheart Phoenix. All Elves have Always Strike First, but only High Elves can slap you with Always Strike Last. Suddenly what was a fairly even match up ends up with High Elves going first and re-rolling to hit.

Wood Elves are in an even better position, but that is mainly because they are the anti-meta army. Right now, the power gaming meta is all about armor, toughness, and speed. Wood Elves can pierce armor with ease and strip away your toughness with Hagbane arrows all while running circles around you. That silly monster and cav heavy army I put together real quick for Dark Elves? My Wood Elves would demolish it without batting an eye.

As a side note, the rest of you, as non-power gamers, are hilariously well set up to deal with my Wood Elves. Large blocks of cheap infantry are quite hard to deal with.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

If you choose to do Dark Elves, Don't Use Black. Think Dark Shades. Black has a high contrast value, and next to pallored skin it has a nasty tendency to create a hard line, thus breaking the model into parts. This also prevents you from using black on the extra vile stuff. I've always liked a mix of dark green and dark purple myself. Red blood stands out well against the green.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/img3cc416cb3b295.jpg
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

I agree! That mini looks neat! And it's very colorful. Just cause you're evil doesn't mean you dress in black. ;)