End Times novels

Tales of battles, princesses, horses, swords and wizards..in a table-top setting.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

End Times novels

Post by Fritz »

Similarly to what I'm doing with the Horus Heresy series, here are the End Times novels thus far:

Rise of Nagash
Kinslayer
Fall of Altdorf

You can get to them if you have the link for my base Ebook folder as well (see the Horus Heresy thread). I routinely update it, so if a new black library book comes out, check the folder to see if I bought it.

As far as the books themselves, Rise of Nagash is okay, but rather necessary if you haven't gotten a chance to get End Times: Nagash. Mannfred is a whiny little bitch, making the book somewhat hard to like. Kinslayer is pretty good. If you like the Felix and Gotrek series, you should enjoy it. They kill off some major characters (spoiler: not Gotrek yet). Finally, there is the Fall of Altdorf, which is nothing short of awesome. It's the same writer that did Scars, so I suppose I should have expect nothing less. The simple act of bringing Nagash back is big, but Fall of Altdorf irrevocably changes the Warhammer world. There are tons of character deaths, many of which are quite major.

I'm working on a summary of the End Times thus far for all of you as well. I'll let you know when I'm done. I'm very stoked about it. I'm still in disbelief that GW went from a stagnant Warhammer setting for the last decade to incredible dynamic change in the last few months. They're going Game of Thrones in their ruthlessness with characters and cities. I'm really digging it.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Re: End Times novels

Post by Berserker »

Forgive my ignorance, but i never read any books in the warhammer world besides the game rules before. Is it worth it for me to start? I tend to like the more medieval setting of warhammer and i'm not so much into the sci fi portion. Are these the stories behind the warhammer world made by GW for the various armies? Or are they stories that various authors wrote that are set inside the world?
My love for you is like a truck..
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

They are stories written by authors set in the Warhammer Fantasy world. If you're at all curious about the End Times craziness sweeping over Warhammer right now, those three novels are a perfect place to start. They are mostly self contained, by which I mean you don't really need to have read anything before them. Rise of Nagash explains the most important parts of the back story before catapulting you into the new story arcs.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

And the Felix and Gorteks novels are cute. I was not a fan of any of the Lizardman books. Inferno was good, I think they made an omnibus. But I got a feeling that these new books will beat the socks off the old books, as the Black Library is doing a great job creating a stable of writers.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

The Felix and Gotrek novels are also very much ending (finally). Kinslayer sets the stage and then pretty much promises to finally kill the world's most unsuccessful slayer.

Captain Tightpants
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

Thank you for the explanation. Since they are set in the fantasy realm, that appeals much more to me. I will give them a try. Hopefully there's some ogre stuff in there as well. Ogres are cool. Did you know I like ogres?
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Well at least Fritz mentioned Ogres, from his post there was nothing regarding the Lizardmen.

I think it be fun to write Lizardmen, duty-bound they move implacably forward. Unblinking they face certain death, content to be a cog in part of the Plan of the Old Ones. Tension could easily come from trying to get a message to a doomed army. Around Lustria in 80 Dinosaurs - so it could have humor too.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

Shit. No sure how I missed them. Their thing was kinda heavy. Mazdamudi had decreed the great plan had failed. He then ordered "the Exodus" to begin. Unfortunately that's all we get, but it's pretty ominous.

Captain Tightpants
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

So i read about 1/3rd of the 1st book and I love it.
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

Great!

Part two of my summary is also posted:
http://warhammertruthiness.blogspot.com ... t-two.html

Captain Tightpants