End Times Magic

Tales of battles, princesses, horses, swords and wizards..in a table-top setting.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Re: End Times Magic

Post by Berserker »

Fritz, I think you're right about the rule lawyering portion That's what internet is best for ;) It wouldn't matter to us as we play for fun. Maybe that's why i never had the desire to play in a tournament.

One day i may try it, but only so i can win the best looking army, and I will definately have a weird tweaked army that no one's played (maybe a gigantic maneater scout unit, 2 giants and a flying tyrant or something random like that) and will loose to all but one guy who i will crush to tears ;)
My love for you is like a truck..
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Serban, Slann do not get the Ward Save from casting High Magic. They have a different lore attribute which allows them to swap spells after successful casting. Slann pretty much already had access to any spell they want, perhaps that is why I put them away, too much Analysis Paralysis. This new Loremaster rule doesn't really benefit Slann any. Slann can still buy up and know all the spells from the basic lores, but again Analysis Paralysis.

I think it be fun to Windblast your opponent off the table...And then mine their deployment zone with comets. As a Skaven Player, if you blow my general off the table, I am screwed. And worse, the bell is big, and generally behind another unit, so it would be super easy to do. On the flip side repeated Chain Lightenings (though high cast) could be devastating. Str 6 - so nobody is bouncing back from that, though I think I'd rather have Foot of Gork.

I should read the interwebs and see what nasty combos the real players come up with.

And here I thought the game would be too long, heck, it might not last the first turn!
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

The loremaster benefits Slann becuase it allows it to reroll failed spells. Normal wizards can't re-roll failed spells under this new system. =)

Hehe, windblast two units into each other over and over and over just because ;)
lilscutt
Galatian Citizen

Post by lilscutt »

When are you guys going to actually play a game and stop warhammer chatting?????
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

16 to 18 years, or after GW hires a playtester, whichever happens first. I glanced a the interwebs for a moment and apparently there is a way for DE to get one free die per casting. Slann used to have that, but I can not recall if it is in the new book. I think it was gone with the nerf.
Mor Grendel

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

MorGrendel wrote:16 to 18 years, or after GW hires a playtester, whichever happens first. I glanced a the interwebs for a moment and apparently there is a way for DE to get one free die per casting. Slann used to have that, but I can not recall if it is in the new book. I think it was gone with the nerf.
It's called the sacrificial dagger. It's not guaranteed (it was in the old book). You only get it on a 4+. Oh and you have to kill a friendly model in base to base contact. You kill a model and then roll the D6. If you don't get the extra die you can keep killing your own dudes until you get it. But yeah, you kill your own dudes, the cheapest of which is 9 points.
Berserker wrote:I'm glad to see that i got you and Fritz to argue on which is the most powerful way to fuck up the other person under this new magic system. That validates my claims. This new system makes magic waaay to important to the game.
I have no idea what game you all were playing, but it already was "waaaaay too important" to the game. Around half of the games I've played in this edition have come down to one spell, often 6 diced, that decided pretty much everything. I'd rather deal with dispeling soul quench again and again than deal with the single hammer blow that I have no hope of stopping and can't recover from. I'm not scared of the 4D6 power dice thanks to a) a large uptick in average dispel dice and b) the D6 power dice limitation. The nasty game changing spells are going to be hard to come by. I can deal with the paper cuts, especially since they'll be inflicted on both sides. I envy you guys being able to play it and try it. I don't exactly have that luxury.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Hahahahaha. Like we have time to play games...

Of note though, I found a site called boardgame arena which focuses on asynchronous gaming. Sounds like your busy, but it might be worth checking out. In particularly, I was interest in checking out Stone Age and Race for the Galaxy.

OK, back to the meta. Dark Elves are stupid... I'd slaughter a temple guard for a die.
Mor Grendel

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

Ogres have a similar item. We inflict a wound on an ogre and we get a +2 to the spell cast for the magic phase (so 1 wound for all spells that magic phase being at +2). But ogres are very expensive. Oh and the ogres get a chance to revolt and kill off the spellcaster (your general) at the end of the magic phase. But it's quite nice to be a level 6 wizard if you plan to cast lots of low level spells ;)

And Fritz, I reckon you'd get a whole lot of little spells off in a phase with the Slaan at +1 cast. 4d6 possible power dice, only 2d6 possible dispel dice, each dice a possible spell. And you really need 2 dispel dice for every 1 power dice if you want to really stop it. Since I'm 1 dicing spells, the D6 rule is only there to hurt you, as sometimes you might roll a 1. The winds are not in the dispeller's favor in my opinion. Who needs big spells when I can bleed you to death in one round anyway.
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Oh snap, I just realized I can recast Wither!
Mor Grendel

lilscutt
Galatian Citizen

Post by lilscutt »

Yall suck, what's the point of owning a army if you never play. Disappointed. ......
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

We're technically playing right now..just in our heads ;)

And yes, i would like to get a game in, it's just this whole time thing, particularly now with the holidays upon us..
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

I went looking for combos in the book, but not really finding any jaw dropping combos. However, spam may be the new black. Speaking of black, check out Death Lore. Every time you wound, you have a 1/3 chance to get another power die. Casting Dark Sun, the chance of getting back your casting dice doesn't look bad.
Mor Grendel

Lokki
Galatian Citizen

Post by Lokki »

I have not see the rules for Dark Elves, however i have seen the Dark Elf models by Raging Heroes and I will likely start one!!! going to have alot of Hot Witches to throw around!! Droooll
"Money can't buy Happyness but it can buy Jagermister and thats kinda the same thing"

-Loki
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative:

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/i ... Itemid=143

I've always been curious how a Khainite army would function on the tabletop. Witch Elves are now core, so you can do it better than ever.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
lilscutt
Galatian Citizen

Post by lilscutt »

Fritz wrote:If you're looking for a cheaper alternative:

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/i ... Itemid=143

I've always been curious how a Khainite army would function on the tabletop. Witch Elves are now core, so you can do it better than ever.

Really fritz..... like come on bro, I work a GW and your going to tell him to go some where else. I'm starting a dark elves army. Why does Kevin always copy me lol