We're Doomed

Tales of battles, princesses, horses, swords and wizards..in a table-top setting.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

We're Doomed

Post by Fritz »

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Re: We're Doomed

Post by Berserker »

Yeah, not doing that! Is this GW trying to make people start new armies (since you wouldn't go rebase your existing army)?
My love for you is like a truck..
boagrius
Galatian Citizen

Post by boagrius »

Some initial thoughts on this is that there will be three versions of the newest Ed. Under a 1000 points will be a skirmish based game. You can use round bases. 1000 to 2000 standard fantasy. And 2000 over and end times type of game. There are movement trays that hold the round bases so you don't need to rebase them. It's still to early to know for sure but I've seen this several times from people who are about 80% right on the rumor mills so I guess we'll see.
what is best in life,to crush the enemy, se them driven before you and hear the lamindation of there women!
lilscutt
Galatian Citizen

Post by lilscutt »

As soon as I know, I'll let you know. But Chris is right for rumors goes, all rumors are talking about 3 version in one. Which I like the idea of. Also with the newer stuff it might make sense. I say until the new edition drops don't worry about it. I'm the one that has to clean up the mess if GW drops the ball on the new edition
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

I do not envy you good sir. This total radio silence, which is probably going to last until July, is one of the dumbest PR moves I could imagine. Now they're intentionally trolling the world by putting round bases on fantasy figures at Warhammer World? And still staying quiet on what the hell it all means? What the fuck?! The "piss off all of your loyal followers" strategy isn't what I would call a winner.

You know, just I started playing Star Wars: Armada from Fantasy Flight. Those guys are hitting it out of the freaking park. Just watching how Fantasy Flight operates blows my mind. It probably shouldn't, but that's just how back GW's PR has been for so long. They publish beta rules and take feedback from the community. Hell, all of their miniature rules are free. There's damned wiki pages that have every single published card for their games. GW would lawyer up faster than you can say "hey, that's really handy!" Fantasy Flight has people linking them on their own damned forums.

In summary, Minnesota based companies are a hell of a lot more chill than snobby Brits. 'MURICA!
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

And don't look now, but Forbidden Stars is coming...
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/p ... den-stars/

This is 40K done by FFG. $99

The shifting Warp Storms that surround the lost Herakon Cluster have finally abated, leaving ancient treasures and planets open to the rest of the galaxy. Now, the great factions of the galaxy mobilize their fleets and race to establish a foothold. The reward for successful domination is beyond calculation, and the price for conquering this sector will be paid in lives.

Forbidden Stars challenges you and up to three other players to take command of a mighty fighting force: the Ultramarines chapter of Space Marines, the Eldar of Craftworld Iyanden, the Evil Sunz Ork clan, or the World Eaters Warband of the Chaos Space Marines. Each faction offers unique armies and play styles, but your goal remains the same – to claim the key objectives selected for your faction. These objective tokens are scattered throughout the Herakon Cluster, but your opponents are sure to defend your objectives against you. You’ll need to build massive armies and command them in unending war to best your enemies and claim your objectives. The fight for the Herakon Cluster is brutal and bloody, and you will either stride triumphant over the bodies of your fallen foes, or they will do the same to you.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Had to post a pict.
Forbidden Stars plastic.png
And you have to love the transparency. It is literally at the printers.
Forbidden Stars.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mor Grendel

Mgettier
Freshmeat

Post by Mgettier »

So it's BFG/Epic on a smaller scale?
Every full moon has a dark side, it's your job to find it.
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

If I recall, it's streamlined card based combat, so mechanically different. No range calculation. It is more like Twighlight Imperium or the Starcraft board game they put out. There are action points. Definitely, more of a boardgame than miniture battle.
Mor Grendel

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

Knowing fantasy flight it's probably dice based, but with unique proprietary dice. It's kind of their signature. Cards are usually for things like wargear. There are tons of cards for X-Wing and Armada, but they're for stats and upgrades. The great part about their dice systems are they're very easy to understand. Their RPG dice simply compare successes to failures. Armada has three results, but all easy to understand. You don't compare the dice to a chart. The results are obvious for all to see.

Captain Tightpants
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

I stand corrected. Looks to indeed be card based:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... -of-war-1/

Captain Tightpants