Kings of War full second edition rules

Tales of battles, princesses, horses, swords and wizards..in a table-top setting.

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Kings of War full second edition rules

Post by Fritz »

The full digital rule book came out for release today. As usual, I'm happy to share it with you all: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5iARu ... cslist_api
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Re: Kings of War full second edition rules

Post by MorGrendel »

Wait, I wasn't reading the right rules.... arg. Back to sleep.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

You were reading the "sample rules" which include everything except for objectives. The only addition to the rules from what you've read thus far is the next step up from just "kill each other." The main additions for this book is 1) the fluff and 2) the full army lists. What was available up to this point were abbreviated sample lists, unless of course you were using the excel spreadsheets I've linked.
Last edited by Fritz on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Excel! Sounds like work - long long meetings at work. :) Once Dan plays Kemet with me I'll be forced to play KoW.
Mor Grendel

Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

Read most of the fluff, and I think I am hooked. I can't wait to write up a list and try it out.
~Titus, the Thawed

"Me and Abed have an agreement, if one of us dies we stage it to look like a suicide caused by the unjust cancellation of Firefly." ~Troy
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Fritz, et al,
Listening to the Countercharge podcast for KoW 2nd edition. Interesting to hear them say that their are no real deathstars, and tha Mantic wanted to see combined arms take the day.

Also, it seems to be a painters game with all this talk of dioramas. I wonder how that will mete out with line of sight?
Mor Grendel

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Army list creator.
http://kow2.easyarmy.com/
Mor Grendel

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

MorGrendel wrote:Fritz, et al,
Listening to the Countercharge podcast for KoW 2nd edition. Interesting to hear them say that their are no real deathstars, and tha Mantic wanted to see combined arms take the day.

I wonder how that will mete out with line of sight?
It's not true line of sight. That's one of the changes for second edition. They use an abstract line of sight system. Infantry are height 1, cavalry height 2, etc. It allows that use of dioramas without messing with line of sight.

I tell you what, this switch is definitely making me a better hobbyist. Ever since I decided to go over to multi-bases, it's forced me to paint the models before hand if I want to put them on the dioramas. Once they're on the bases, it's much more difficult to paint them. That means I have to paint them before playing with them. It doesn't really matter right now since I can't even go to the local hobby shop because of Army fraternization policies (it's on post and those privates are in freaking uniform), so my only games have been online using Universal Battle.

As for the no deathstars, it's absolutely true. I've yet to see that unkillable combo. The nastiest unit I've seen thus far is probably the Soul Reaver Cavalry with their CS (1) TC (2) Melee 3+ and Def 6+. Even they are very killable. I'm having a blast with the games thus far. List building and luck seem to have a much smaller roll in this game. Strategy, especially in the movement phase, is center stage.

Captain Tightpants