Combat: Spear/Shield Combo

Development of Strategies and Tactics

Moderators: Berserker, MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Combat: Spear/Shield Combo

Post by MorGrendel »

What follows I'm not suggesting this for everyone, but practice makes perfect. Ahrimen and I act as battlefield modifiers for each other. When we fight linked as a shield man and a spear we are capable of creating chaos with very little effort, then the rest of the Galatians take advantage of that chaos.

Here are some thoughts on the Spear/Shield Combo:

1. Abandon the kill count. It will cause you to focus on an area, whereas this combo is best ulitized when it is moving in and out of ranges and into and out of new defenders' front 90.

2. Surrender your ego. You are not a killing machine(s), you are here for mutual protection. This does not mean, pardon the phrase, you need to be crotch to butt. Rather you should float near your teammate counter-attacking when your teammate is attacked. Surviving and making your opponent "deal with you" forces them to change there plan and commit forces to you.

3. Practice non-verbal communication. Be like a pair of dancers; when was the last time you heard grandpa say to grandma, "I want you to spin now." If you need your teammate to move, bump him with your hip, in the same spot, everytime. In time, your teammate will feel the bump just by you shifting your weight towards him. If you are a shield, point out kills with your elbow or basket hilt. For this to work fully you may need to direct the spear in the direction of the target with your sword. In time the spearman will learn that a dip in the angle of your shield means you've aquired a target. Spearman, your the chick in this, follow the shieldman's lead and don't get mad if he touches your spear. Finally, Shieldman it is your job to keep your eyes open for trouble, you must move to defend (as you are blocking the spearmans line of sight from time to time). You may also decide that an area is signifcantly weaked and that there are new unaware targets to attack. Move the spear over your head with your sword as you pass in front. Spearman, don't lift that spear any higher than necessary. In time, the spear will notice the body direction shift and will be able to anticipate the switch. Spear, a time will come when it makes sense to rejoin the line, hook your shield and pull him back into the line. In time a simple tap on the shield will signify the need to back up.

4. Use the spear as bait. People love to jump an exposed spear almost as much as they love to pound an archer. Bait poles to move a direction or leave the protection of the line to "quick kill" the spear. When the time is right, shieldman, you jump them. Kill if you can (but stay alive), or make them retreat uncoordinated back into the line. You may be able to press the line and make it curl back on itself, particularly if you got some young bloods waiting for a charge. Corners that are spear heavy are lunch. Actually this works in long thin lines too, just be sure to bunch the enemy up. If they don't bunch, don't press.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
lilscutt
Galatian Citizen

Re: Spear/Shield Combo

Post by lilscutt »

I totally agree with morgendal in on this tactic.... Titus and I are useally a pretty good tandem when it comes to spear and sheild combo.
ahrimen
Galatian Citizen

Post by ahrimen »

i 'd like to add to that : shieldman, when counter attacking, after you have nutralized the 1st threat (not nessisarily killed ) imedeatly look for a 2nd or 3rd threat do not get stuck in a stagnate 1 on 1 fight. usualy just the threat of you moving to intercept will prompt you opponent into a fighting stance and stop his forward momentum. if hes smaller than you a shield check can also work this will also open the spearmen up for a good shot as you move on to the next threat.
It’s not arrogance when you’ve bled for it.
Ahrimen Rex - Former Warlord of Galatia
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Added another thought in blue.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

This is very good. I totally agree!
My love for you is like a truck..