Basics: Human Movement

Development of Strategies and Tactics

Moderators: Berserker, MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Basics: Human Movement

Post by MorGrendel »

For me to teach you, we must use the same vernacular. Some words may seem self-explanatory; but some times the simplest thing are the hardest to explain. So to create a solid base, we must begin at the most basic of concepts: Human Movement.

In the simplest terms, humans can move forwards and backwards, left and right. Forwards and backwards movement along the y-axis is called linear movement; while left and right upon the x-axis, will be referred to as lateral movement, e.g. Lateral Left and Lateral Right. Forwards and backwards may be paired with left and right to create four additional directions. (Diag. 1) Humans can also move on the z-axis, up and down, but that is for another day.
Diag1sm.png
Generally speaking, human locomotion is fastest in a straight line forward. We call this direct path, Inline motion. All other motion is considered Offline. (Diag. 2) Some instructors, consider backwards movement as inline movement.
Diag2sm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
MorGrendel
Warlord

Re: Basics: Human Movement

Post by MorGrendel »

Hear is why. In this case (Diag. 3) the opponent is Inline to you. If you continue to move forward and your opponent moves backwards, than the area behind the opponent is inline to your movement.
Diag3sm.png
Vise versa this is also true. (Diag. 4)
Diag4sm.png
Why is this important? You and your opponent are strongest when attacking straight ahead. If one reacts by moving in the same direction as the attacker (or inline to the attacker), then the attacker will have an advantage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mor Grendel

MorGrendel
Warlord

Re: Basics: Human Movement

Post by MorGrendel »

However, Backwards movement is not always Inline movement. Where the lesson becomes confused is when your opponent is Offline to you. Many instructors assume you will turn to face your opponent to bring both you and your opponent Inline with one another. However, there are times you cannot or choose not to face the direction of your opponent. When this is the case (Diag. 5), your forwards and backwards movement would be offline movement to your opponent. This is especially important at range, as opponents that can strike you will not necessarily be in front of you.
Diag5sm.png
In summary, it is advantageous to move to offline positions from your opponent while keeping your opponent inline to you. If you want to avoid an attackers strongest attacks, then do not tarry inline with your opponent forward movement.
Mor Grendel