Philosophy: Word Association

Development of Strategies and Tactics

Moderators: Berserker, MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Philosophy: Word Association

Post by MorGrendel »

I enjoy word association. It allows one to view concepts in a way one might not have thought of before. Moreover, sometimes I like to take two apparently disassociated words and link them together. Sometimes, the journey elucidates on my current mental state and how my attitude towards concepts has changed over time. Has my understanding grown or have I become more close-minded? I find this fascinating.

When I first penned the “Virtues of Galatia”, my sole goal was to illuminate the aspirations of myself and my friends. I use them as a benchmark for who I am. For it is one thing to say, “I am honorable”; but what does that really mean? And what does it mean if your impression changes? What does it mean if it never changes?

The world may change, but we remain a sum of our experiences.

Your homework, if you accept it, is to attempt to associate the following concepts:

Honor with Paranoia

Unity with Equanimity

Service with Sophomore

Humility with Execution
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
MorGrendel
Warlord

Re: Philosophy: Word Association

Post by MorGrendel »

Honor with Paranoia

Honor and Paranoia are linked by the concept of faith.
By their nature they are opposites. Paranoia is to have no faith in people and in situations. To trust in no one; creating an exaggerated self-importance. To have honor is to have faith in yourself, but also to have faith in others and to believe they have honor. In both cases, it is believed that commitments will be honored. Honor allows you to accept situations and do your best using those around you to strive to make things better. Paranoia means you are faithless and mistrusting; you accept that you can do nothing to change the situation. You are fated to fail. I am reminded that I must have faith in others if I am to succeed and to show honor.
Mor Grendel

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Unity with Equanimity

Unity and Equanimity are linked through difficulty.
Practicing Equanimity creates stability in difficult times, and by its nature, fosters Unity. Sometimes Equanimity is mistaken for indifference or apathy, but one that practices Equanimity accepts the difficulty of the situation and strives for composure. In difficult times it is wise to listen to those that lend the clarity of calmness and whom are in control of their emotions. These practitioners are the ones that unit will come to rely on when voices get loud and relationships become strained. A unit is measured by how it deals with difficulty; for if a unit is never tested, how can it’s Unity be trusted. United you may persevere difficulty, but through Equanimity, you will do it as one.
Mor Grendel

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Service with Sophomore

Service and Sophomore are linked by effort.
Service is to try. It is to work towards a goal, be it for yourself, for others, or for the group at large. Every try and every effort is worthwhile, even if the result is a failure. However, it is the successes that are dangerous, as they lead to complacency. Service stops as people accept this is the way things are to be. We should never think like this, we should always subscribe to a Sophomore effort. Most fear this, dreading the “sophomore slump”. What if the next try isn’t better? Remember, it is the effort, not the result that is important. Perfection is an illusion. Sophomore means “Wise” and “Foolish”, and it refers to any learned skill. You are wise enough to know what it is you are doing, but you would be foolish to assume that you know the many how’s necessary to accomplish it. The only way to learn all of these facets is to try again and again.
Mor Grendel

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Humility with Execution
Humility and Execution are linked through Memory.
How is one remembered? In our last breath can we ask for redemption and get it? An Execution is a person's final moments on this earth. Empathically our psyches link and a lasting impression imprints on our collective memory; with a concluding stroke we paint a portrait for the history books and render a final judgment based on a critique of ourselves. Throughout history many heroes have been exalted to a near god-like status, but so too does history absolve and revere villains and tyrants in death. History shines on those that humbly accept they must die. History is less kind to those who go out blaming others.
Mor Grendel