Basics: Big and Little

Development of Strategies and Tactics

Moderators: Berserker, MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Basics: Big and Little

Post by MorGrendel »

Big and Little

The concept of big and little is founded in the fact that when you fight you cannot be both defensive and offensive at the same time. You must commit to one or the other to be successful at it. To half commit results in half effectiveness.

So what is meant by fighting big or little? In fighting, to kill an opponent one must master the moments of impetus, by controlling when and how your opponent moves, you control the fight and improve your chances at making a successful kill. Fighting big not only means to fight offensively, but to envelope your opponent, to close the space between both of you, and to appear bigger than you are. For a moment you block out the sun, and all your opponent sees is you. If done correctly, you opponent reacts to your presence, not your weapon. Fighting small is the opposite. You fight defensively, but more importantly you make yourself smaller, you limit or disguise your movement, and you do not offer any targets. When fighting small you make yourself look unthreatening, and then when the impetus is right, you spring into action and fight big. The sudden shock will often cause opponents to back off and be off-balance. This can allow you to throw deep shots that are more effective than opponent’s short-distance stop-hits or reactionary attacks. This can also create pressure kills and openings for range weapons.

Remember: Enemies will not attack what they cannot see. When attacked, enemies generally respond by defending themselves.

Mastery comes when you can control the range of the fight, while also properly switching between fighting big and fighting little. When you suddenly appear closer and more dangerous than expected, your opponent pumps their shield. If in that moment, you to go small and disappear, they are then forced to search for you. If you again become big, you will startle your opponent and this can unnerve even the best fighter.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
penseur
Galatian Citizen

Re: Big and Little

Post by penseur »

I think that explains it very well. And I also think that it will help a lot. I only wish that I had been doing it on purpose Friday lol