Moderators: Berserker, MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Philosophy: Sense of Urgency

Post by MorGrendel »

Sense of Urgency

Dan: “You fight me different. You kick it into a higher gear.”
Jeff: “I have to. There is no time for practice.”

I find practice hard; hard to fight my Brothers, hard to give it 100%.
The metric is different; winning is unimportant, and so more time is spent watching others fight. However, this creates a disconnect at practice; an almost lackadaisical pace - the sense of urgency gone. And though proper swing and proper stance are important, they should never come at the expense of fighting at your ability. Throwing the perfect shot only has the desired effect (winning), if you are where you need to be on the battlefield.

Even when fighting an enemy that is weaker, there is a propensity to lessen the intensity or to become a fire-and-forget weapon. The focus on pressuring, positioning, timing, cooperation, and cohesion is lost. As there are strike-power levels, so there are also calibrations of team intensity. When that is out of balance, you have a group of individuals and not a team. By our nature, we naturally resist this by looking for fights where we are outnumbered. Anything else would be a waste of our time.

There must be a team plan and a full engagement. All fighters should understand their role, and execute the next actions immediately upon group success or failure. Everyone must be trying, striving, and fighting at top form, otherwise fighting without a sense of urgency is dangerous to mind, spirit, and body. Fighting our enemy at the highest gear is our highest compliment.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.