Primer: Fighterish V.S. Fighterlike (Edit)

Development of Strategies and Tactics

Moderators: Berserker, MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Why might a person rub me the wrong way? We all wear guises, a face to hide our real self. Maybe I am exposed even more to that kind of person in a hobby that encourages dress-up and feigned death. So at the outset, a faker, a phony, is going to rub me raw. The guy who says he was there, even though what he mean is that he was there in spirit. However, I digress, as it is not a particular person who riles me up at the moment, but rather the people who fly in the face of what I believe, the people who ignore the warrior code.

This leads me to a thought on how I divide people (fair or not), as either Fighterish or Fighterlike. In our circle, you are either a fighter or you are not. If you’re not a fighter, that’s fine, be whatever you are. Own it, and contribute, or get out. However, if you are a fighter, then you must live by the code, or else you are simply fighterish.

Maybe it is the fact that at the end of the day, this is all just a game, but these terms, Fighterish and Fighterlike, ring in my head, harkening to sister terms; Childish and Childlike. The word Childish brings on negative aspects, like selfish, immature, and irresponsible. Where as Childlike takes on the positive aspects, like hopeful, curious, and trusting. The connection between the four terms may not be an obvious one, but the cipher in this case is that unwritten value called Fun.

So given that I will distance myself from those who are Fighterish, it is to be understood then, that so would Galatia. And so by the reverse, a Galatian is Fighterlike. This then begins to answer the question; what makes Galatians, Galatians? It is our overwhelming desire to remain Fighterlike. So how then do we define Fighterlike?

Fighterlike: Aspects befitting a fighter, exhibiting the behavior of a fighter.
*Versus*
Fighterish: Indicating a lack of aspects befitting a fighter, exhibiting behavior not becoming of a fighter.

As to these aspects:
Someone who is fighterlike will find a way, and is full of can do attitude. Someone who is fighterish is full of excuses, and can create reasons for not fighting.

Someone who is fighterlike is humble and gracious. Someone who is fighterish stands on title and subjugating others.

Someone who is fighterlike focuses on their strengths. Someone who is fighterish focuses on their opponent’s weaknesses.

Someone who is fighterlike has a love of learning, even if it comes from the enemy or through defeat. Someone who is fighterish feels they have nothing to learn, or that there is no gain from associating with lowers/others.

Someone who is fighterlike works to better his reputation, which no matter how bright it shines, could always gleam brighter. Someone who is fighterish finds ways to blame others for their failings.

Someone who is fighterlike can see politics and respect as two different things. Someone who is fighterish lacks a team focus and weakens the bonds of the group.

Someone who is fighterlike is always on the field, striving to make a name and growing from their mistakes. Someone who is fighterish gathers notice by throwing others under the bus, they grow shallow and self-centered.

Someone who is fighterlike looks to contribute. Someone who is fighterish feels unimportant and insignificant.

Someone who is fighterlike knows bravery lies in the heart, and that true bravery comes when one is fully aware of the situation and the likely outcome, and yet still proceeds. Someone who is fighterish believes bravery lays at the tip the sword; they are ever the critic, unable to accept what fate has dealt them.

Someone who is fighterlike can see honor though tactics, fights with urgency, and can both follow and lead as the situation dictates.

Someone who is fighterlike defines himself as a fighter, and when questioned on motive replies simply, “This is what I do.”

As an addendum, I remember someone in a 7-11 once referred to me as a soccer hooligan. We do, to quote ourselves, “Walk like you fight, Fight like you walk;” or to paraphrase, be comfortable in your own skin, natural, fearless, wherever you are. At the time I was ecstatic, but I now wonder if to be a fighter one must give off the aura of a fighter and is that aura always appropriate? On this I will have to think more.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
lilkender
Warrior In Training

Post by lilkender »

Your essays always amaze me. Thank you for the words of wisdom. Lots for me to think about as a new almost-fighter.