Combat: Team work: Unit Cohesion

Development of Strategies and Tactics

Moderators: Berserker, MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Combat: Team work: Unit Cohesion

Post by MorGrendel »

Unit Cohesion is essential to dominating the Melee Field. Unit Coheasion comes together in stages:

1. Identifing your spot in the line. i.e. where to stand to provide optimal offense and defense, particularly as it pertains to range and the use of mixed arms; Block or Form Up.

2. Ralling and getting back in place after you have been scattered. It seems simple, but units that can rally silently and seemlessly will always win the day.

3. Simple Movement, your unit should never touch when moving forward. If you are stopped or are moving backwards, provide extra room for those on the line to move and swing. When an ally falls, clear any enemies from the spot, then move into the vacated spot. Always stay within weapons range of your unit, or else no support is being given.

4. Moving in a group in a serial uni-directional motion. i.e. In a charge, a target is choosen, then Jon goes, then Matt goes, then Steve goes all in a straight line toward a the target; Obliques, Bubbles or Slants.

5. Moving in a group in a serial multi-directional motion. i.e. In a charge, a target is choosen, then Jon goes, then Matt goes, then Steve goes all in a similar but not direct line toward a the target; V or C charge, Misdirection or Shift charge, Seagull Charge.

6. Exploiting an edge of a line with speed and rob the enemy of the inititive. i.e. Flanking, Whirling Dirvishes, or a Toilet Bowl.

7. Spliting your force to create a localized numerical superiority. i.e. to creat 2 on 1 mismatches; Ugly Duckling or a Pincer

8. Spliting your force to create a localized numerical superiority on the move. i.e. to creat 2 on 1 mismatches; Get Behind, Crosses, or a Denied Flank Flanking Manuever

9. Flow from one type of manuver to the next seemlessly as the battle dictates.

10. Move without command, move with purpose trusting in the group-think, be able to identify what others are thinking by thier posture and stance.

Though practice all these can be learned. If you don't understand, all the concepts, please ask.
Last edited by MorGrendel on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
LVX
Freshmeat

term clarification

Post by LVX »

hey, can you break down all the terms yall like to use? i don't understand football terminology, and i know you have used those before.
Finn
Freshmeat

Post by Finn »

I see in your description how Galatia fights - most of you have fought for many years together. Incorporating a new fighter into your ranks and teaching that fighter how to work with you is a matter of practice and repetition. Over time the new fighter is assimilated into the fold and to "Move without command, move with purpose trusting in the group-think" is possible.

At Storviks Novice Tourney Morgrendel and I joked because we couldn't hit each other with spears... we noted I had become "part of the collective". I fully admit I have admired your fighting prowess and sought to learn and master your skills.

However, the techniques you enumerate are more difficult if applied to groups beyond Galatia or in my case where I am constantly given new fighters I have never fought with. In this case, verbal commands and forced pairings (you three will stay together to hit x) are necessary.

At the recent Storvik Novice Tourney, Sir Vlad really put me through the paces – We had only three fighters I had fought with before against a superior foe: Galatia. When I finally saw some relief, the king of Atlantia was to enter the fight – but no, he was given to Galatia. Then, to make matters more interesting, Sir Vlad took away all but three of our shields so “you can learn to work with a skirmishing unit”.

How may these principles be applied to multiple, unfamiliar units working together? May these “Zen” principles somehow be taught into all new fighters so that no matter who they fight with, or how many fighters they fight with, these truths will still apply?
Finn
Sergeant of St. Aiden
Really Handsome Fighter in Red
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

LVX: My response was so big, I made it a post in the book. I hope it helps. Also check out the Children of the Storm book under the Lore link. It's a little old, but you can see where the terms come from.
Mor Grendel

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Two initial thoughts: You guys hung tight with us, and were able to exploit a number of our weaknesses. Also, you were in a tough spot, I would use it as a learning experience, and don't beat yourself up about it. I can assure you, we did not go home as high from those fights as others we been in this year. We all stomped mud holes in each other, it was a good day.

Now my basard thought: New people are there to die. Incorporate them at practice, not at a war. Either they are "In with Finn"(patent pending), or they are on their own. Give them direction, but don't ruin your day making special circumstances for them so they can get a kill. Also, don't be afraid to yell at them. Sometimes they get stuck in neutral and need to be shaken loose.

So here you go... this is either genius or I'm blowing smoke, its hard to tell I had a rough night last night.

The Zen of Commanding Unfamiliar Troops

The Tao Te Ching
by Lao Tzu
XVII
The greatest leaders are never seen, their presence is never felt
Lesser rulers are loved and praised
Lesser still are hated, and obeyed through fear
And the least are despised and ignored

If you would lead people, trust them to do the right thing
When a leader accomplishes something using the tao
He steps back, moves on to something else
And lets the people praise themselves

Take yourself out of the equation. On the battlefield the warriors around you, whether you are familiar with them not are bound to do only what they can do. You can not control them. They will get tunnel vision, they will get angry, and they will desert you.

Divide your force into weapons, and weapon delivery systems. Amongst the weapons, find two leaders and give them an objective. Challenge them to take, but make them compete not with you, but with each other. Speak to the weapons no more, they will not listen anyway.

Straighten your back and speak softly to the delivery system. They are not animals to be tamed, but moths looking for a light. Build them up. Tell them how important their job is and explain how they pave the path for the weapons. Now send them to die.

Find a comfortable spot in the line, where you can stay alive. It is your job to call the rally as not all of your delivery system will die, and some of your weapons will get lost on the way to the target. You will die as your remaining weapons surge for the prize and your remaining delivery systems scatter looking for a fight they can win.

The Truths of Combat
The only fundamental truth of battle is expect the unexpected. Brilliance and blunders will happen; the side that can cope with them best should carry the day.

The Anti-Truths of Combat
Don’t get suckered into 1 on 1s, there is always someone better than you.
Don’t move off, finish the job. Do not scan ahead to another fight, you betray the line.
Don’t move off unsupported, if you are unsupported so too is the line.
Don’t bear the weight of the fight on your shoulders; spread it to all on your side.
Don’t expect to lose, or you will. (To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence. - Sun Tzu)
Mor Grendel

ahrimen
Galatian Citizen

Post by ahrimen »

id like to add my 2 cents.........
it is deffently difficult with new fighters to keep cohesion in a unit and i can sympatise, however 1/2 of the fights that day went your way (Finn) and i feel a big part of that is you have 3-4 guys now who know how we fight and exploit weaknesses individualy i dont know how well that is going to work vs another unit of equal abilites but one that you do not know the fighters or the stragies employed. my sugestion is work on a "core" of fighters say 3-5 is plenty come up with "plays" that work to your strenths and as morg said when the newbies are out use them to assit the core on accomplishing its mission, dont change the plays but modify them to allow fodder. one at a time bring new fighters into the fold who show promise and find a spot for them in the core so that they blend seamlessly.