Mercenaries: Underdogs, Rebels, Mavericks and Prostitutes

Development of Strategies and Tactics

Moderators: Berserker, MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Mercenaries: A Code

To start, just because you got paid, does not make you a mercenary. Mercenaries fight for more than just a chest of booty; they also fight for a purpose and for glory. Mercenaries have a job to do, and take that job very seriously. They must, or all mercenaries suffer. If one mercenary group does outstanding, that is a second group that the client will purchase next year. If that group gives off the impression that mercenaries are expendable, or worse, ineffective, then that is two less hired groups the next year. Also in such a small circle, word spreads fast between friends, often compounding the situation.

Mercenaries must create an open line of communication with their client. Both sides should know what is expected of the other, a clear payment structure should be determined before the parties shake in concurrence of the offer, and there should be harmony in the final agreement. Both sides earn trust and honor by living up to the expectations of the other. Good mercenaries need to be as diligent off the field, as they are on it. They must police their own and go above and beyond in keeping their numbers up. This is how you build a reputation. The best of mercenaries have their deal done and paid for before they ever take the field. They are a healthy body of renowned troops, paid not for their service, but for the privilege to say, “Look who we have added to the ranks. If we can fight half as honorable and hard as these mercenaries, we should surely win the day.”

Now some clients are not able to offer all of the required elements of the mercenary pact, be it pay, or a good purpose, or a chance for glory. With a solid agreement these things can be worked around, but those involved must understand that clever idioms and uplifting jargon do not replace the facts. Despite this warning, many hold fast to these iconic turns of phrase that have made there way into the common consumption, that at best muddy up the purpose or at worst have begun to take on a life of their own. Much like in the “The Life of Brian”, the fanatical followers of a messiah do so, because they know what a messiah looks like. Be wary of conferred monikers of “Underdog”, “Rebels”, and the “Glorious Dead”. Just because someone calls it a rose, doesn’t make it so.

On the flip side, just because an offer is not popular or ideal, it should not be turned down immediately. Every contract should be looked at as a step to the next contract and sometimes a little less now, is a lot later. Several truths hold true: No mercenary group should avoid a beating simply because there ego is too big to withstand the blow; If there is a known chance of being stomped into the ground, fine, but that should be apparent at the time of contract; No mercenary group should be overly concerned with pay and reputation, as this will cause future offers to dry up.

Also, in the end, let us never forget that we are playing dress up and swords. Low offers are often a misunderstanding and not an insult. A good mercenary never leaves the table without an offer.

An underdog is someone who fights for an honorable cause, who tries but still comes up short, but will be remembered as a hero any way the battle goes. An underdog is not someone who waits until the last moment, who does not attempt to buy mercenaries, who shows up outnumbered and goes, "How did this happen." A poor planner is not an underdog. It may be a nobler thing to stand there and take a beating for a good cause, but an underdog makes more of his or her self than a speed bump. Just because you plan to “die gloriously", does not by de facto make you an underdog. A true underdog works his hind end off. They are forever reaching for that brass ring, and the ride with such an individual is sure to be entertaining if not full of ups and downs. An underdog is prepared, and able to pay for mercenary services. Often this is the guy who has worked the hardest to get mercenaries, and he more than anyone else deserves our services. Glory is a definite option with an underdog. A mercenary unit looking to make a name may gravitate toward and underdog as the opportunity for glory is high and the penalty for losing is low.

However, you may be hired stand there and just take a beating for a really good cause. This makes you a rebel, not an underdog. Historically, rebels rarely got paid, as they are usually too dead to collect. Often mercenary rebels do not get much in the way of pay either, but their moral compass tells them they must go a certain way. Maybe they choose the beating over pay because they feel a need to protect an old benefactor, or because they wish to forge a new alliance. Maybe the mercenary rebels are doing a bit of forward thinking and are attempting some form of coo to keep unfriendly powers from grabbing control. What ever the cause, the mercenary rebels know the score before contract time, and all involved understand that the chance of winning is small. If a possible niche can be carved from the battle plan to allow the mercenaries some glory, a negotiator should do his best to secure that.

The final type of mercenary is the maverick. This type of mercenary goes against the grain and what is expected. They tend to ignore their moral compass, or the higher offer, or fight for a lesser cause. Often you will hear them say, we are “Mercing this one out”, which is to say, they don’t want any part of the politics, they just want to get paid. Other times you might hear them say, “We’ll go where the winds take us”, which is to say that they are still deciding between the lesser of two evils. Mavericks tend to make quick, impulsive decisions in a moment. They may not take the best deal, just the best deal right now. This is what makes them mavericks. An established mercenary unit may choose to be a maverick if they feel that they are becoming predictable. Also, if they have been recently screwed over they may choose to take on the role of maverick so that an employer(s) will be openly aware of a sore point.

Finally, those who do not search out the best deal, those who take the first or only offer are not mercenaries they are prostitutes. Most times these warriors only have an offer from one side or one individual. Many times a preexisting arrangement has made their mind up for them. It must be remembered that this pay is gift, and no more. Though the warriors fight for pay, they are not mercenaries, and in general, will not conduct themselves as such.

Mercenaries: Closing Thought

One final thought, no mercenary calls himself such. One does not tell others, “I’m a mercenary”; rather he sees himself as a weapon or a skill to be added to the army. He is a sword for hire, shield or spear to beef up the line, or even water bearer or gear hauler. When mercenaries gather and band together, they don’t ask how many do we have in total, but how many shields and how many spears. In that sense they seek to know the kind of weapon they as a whole will be, and how that weapon will fight. This weapon of wills, this wall of flesh, now begins its job that it waited so impatiently for. Once a mercenary band hits the field, all thoughts of pay are gone. They focus in on the moments of renown they must earn for next time. For combat is only seconds long, but those seconds will carry with you into your next negotiation. You are only as good, as your last fight.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
MorGrendel
Warlord

Additional thoughts

Post by MorGrendel »

From another source: (please understand it is a bit out of context, so if it sounds like we are arguing to you, I assure you we are not. I value Berzerkers opinion(s) very highly.)

Quote Berzerker:
I agree with your statements with the exception of the last paragraph. I certainly do tell myself and others that i am a mercenary. I don't see myself as a weapon to be added to the army because that removes my identity. I am not just another spear or another shield of the army. I am Berserker of Galatia! Because this IS a game, that's why i CAN be whom i wish to be. I am not just a peasant. I am mercenary scum, and i take pride in the fact that I am a mercenary. Just like knights take pride in the fact that they are nights, i take pride that i am a mercenary. We hunt knights and kings because we're the antithesis of knights, and this is precicely why they hate us too.
Mor Grendel's response:
Good point. What if instead of saying "Army" I said "Unit".

Also, I don't think we carry the merc badge on the battlefield. Once we are there we are Galatia or Markland Army (to each there own), and more to the point, are we not less of individuals and more part of some bigger force?

I also think that is what makes us different than the knights, is that we leave our titles at home. Our plan relies on martial skill and trickery, not the inability to take solid blows. Though you have a point that we do hunt them because they are our antithesis, so maybe we don't hang up our Mercenary title as easily as I thought.

I guess I dislike the use of the term as an explaination of disordly conduct. Rather I would like it seen as an army for hire.
Later after some other comments, Mor Grendel wrote:
I have tried Serban to include your point, however, to me the rewrites mix up the message. I know I want to steer away from a particular behavior, one of "I can do what ever because I'm a mercenary". People are going to do what they are going to do, irregardless of wether or not they are Mercenaries. Some people use mercenary like it is a title, a crutch, or an enabler of bad behavior. To me it is just a verb or an adjective. I don't want to remove your individuality, but I do believe that I must define mercenaries not as unorganized, disorderly rabble, but as trained, free-thinking troops.

Here is my best attempt, I'm not sold on it.

One final thought, no mercenary calls himself such. One does not tell others, “I’m a mercenary”, much like how a Viking never felt the need to justify his actions with a title. Rather he sees himself as a unique weapon or a special skill to be added to the unit. He is a sword for hire, a shield or spear to beef up the line, or even a water bearer or gear hauler. He serves a purpose, and is not bound blindly by fealty.

When mercenaries gather and band together, they don’t ask how many do we have in total, but how many shields and how many spears. Each takes a personal interest in their amassed configuration. In that sense they seek to know the kind of weapon they as a whole will be, and how that weapon will fight. This weapon of wills, this wall of flesh, now begins its job that it waited so impatiently for. Once a mercenary band hits the field, all thoughts of pay are gone. They focus in on the moments of renown they must earn for next time. For combat is only seconds long, but those seconds will carry with you into your next negotiation. You are only as good, as your last fight.

I still see it more like a job. I would not like it if a Doctor butted infront of me in a line, so I see no need to draw attention to our job, I guess.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.