XCOM

Off-topic Discussions (politics, current events, sports, music, etc..)

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

XCOM

Post by MorGrendel »

Having just beat XCOM, I thought I'd ask a few questions.

What was your favorite team make up?
Is that what you used to beat it?
Was anyone able to ugrade their rocket launcher?
In general, how helpful did you find Heavies?
How many soldiers did you lose?

Has anyone tried the other modes or multiplayer?
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Re: XCOM

Post by Fritz »

1) I have two general teams: Sniper, Assault w/ shotgun, two medics, two heavies and Assault w/ shotgun, Assault w/rifle, two medic and 2 heavies. The first is for when I expect a more open environment, the second is when I expect a more closed environment.
2) I've used both team layouts for the final mission. It depended on who my psychic dude was. First time it was a heavy, second time it was a sniper.
3) Yes, in my first time through only though. I never got it in my classic difficulty/ironman mode game.
4) Heavies are critical in my book. Of course, I think all of the classes are critical for different reasons. Heavies bring the pain. Their main weapon shooting twice absolutely devastates things. The Rocket Launcher is great as essentially a mobile grenade. I use it mainly for destroying cover, which then allows other folks to have easier shots.
5) First time though, not many. Maybe a dozen at the most. At classic difficulty/ironman mode, I would stop playing a soldier once they made it to Colonel. Because I couldn't go back and re-do anything, I didn't want to risk them. That meant playing a lot more squaddie level guys that was probably healthy. I think I lost 43. I had plenty of money to keep the recruits flowing in, so I just kept throwing poor rookies into the meat grinder. I typically lost 2-3 rookies per mission toward the end. It was brutal, but effective.
6) I've done both multiplayer and Ironman. I know other people that have tried a couple of the other modes as well.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants