St Aiden's and Lochmere.

Off-topic Discussions (politics, current events, sports, music, etc..)

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

St Aiden's and Lochmere.

Post by MorGrendel »

All,

There is a lot going on, so here is the low down.

I've been approached a lot about "there are awards out there if you (Galatians) want them" and "friendly kings." In particular, Ursus is a bug in my ear. It should be no surprise that there is a spotlight on us.

Adding to this, I have been asked to join St. Aidens. Generally, I would dismiss any Atlantian "award" out of principle, but these seem to be changing times.

St. Aidens is for Atlantian melee fighters. However, as awards go, it's just a step above the disbanded orders and just below the Sea Urchins - a children's award. As you know, Atlantia does not value melee much, and there was even talk of disbanding the order.

I was clear, nothing comes before my own. Finn said that was his rule too, so that shouldn't be an issue. I asked what would be expected of me, and I was told I would need to train new fighters. I said I already do that, and they responded that is why they want to recognize me. Fulk was pretty plain, "Obviously, don't wear the baldric if you field against us (Atlantia)."

I have worked hard to keep us separate, so I'm unsure if this is an honor I want - or more specifically, if I want to attract the attention and politics that may come from it. At the same time I don't want or group to be overlooked, because we are "not in the SCA." Perhaps, all I ever wanted was there respect, and that, we have earned.

So maybe it's time we interject some of Galatia into Atlantia, on our terms. Maybe we try to shape things. Maybe, we accept a few Wookiee badges and play the game. Maybe this is a launchpad that can be used to support melee, so in future years they can't forget to schedule melee events.

So there's that. Additionally, Lochmere has moved the practice to by my house. To be clear, practice is every week, only the "big" or St. Aidens Practices are on our calendar. I'm thinking I'm going to go every week. There is a lot of new blood there, and this practice has the possibly of catching fire. I encourage you to come.

Let me know your thoughts, I'm trying to make a decision by Tuesday.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
hypo
Galatian Citizen

Re: St Aiden's and Lochmere.

Post by hypo »

Sounds like this is their way of make me swear your allegiance to Atlantia and train up there fighters. If it was an award without any obligation I would go for it. But Sounds like they're trying to suck you in
hýÞö, Aka-Guðmundr Feitrháls Þórsson, Aka-Nugget. Aka-Cramman Ruithais
The Order of Ansuz
Citizen of Galatia
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

Some of the Angs got inducted into this didn't they? Might be worth talking it over with them. The lines are blurring for sure and I'm not opposed to anything that doesn't involve absolute loyalty to the crown.

As for practice, don't expect me there for the foreseeable future. As I warned you for a while, my life as I know is over now that I'm taking command. My work life starts at 0500 and goes at least until 1800. I can't sacrifice what little family time I get each day for practice. You can count on me for events and weekend practices, but weekdays just aren't happening unless it's a holiday.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

I'm with Fritz. No problem with this as long as they don't expect you to fight with them instead of us, or demand loyalty to them over us. Galatia first. Galatia always :) otherwise, why not? Enjoy to the award! It's nice to be recognized! :)
My love for you is like a truck..