Training.....

General SCA/Markland-related discussion

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Lokki
Galatian Citizen

Training.....

Post by Lokki »

Well guys, I went to my first training this past Monday at the SCA Collage Park. I think that will be my normal training, and I'll go the the Tuesday one if I miss the Monday because of work or what ever comes up. I'm going to want to do some other training to stay sharp for Melee and such Serban and I discussed using his place for Melee practice since he can't leave home much but is very eager to start training, I do now know what everyone else is schedule wise but Serban is interested in Saturday morning and finnish before lunch... 10-12? would that be good for us as a standard melee training together?

On a side to this I'm also eager to do some constructive one on one training in an effort to work on improving basic fighting mechanics, for myself and anyone that is interested in coming to my place to work on this, I would like to do this on Thursday as it fits my shedual. Let me know if that interests you!

I want to get this rolling ASAP or at least talking about it since we are not going to have a meeting till April it looks like, which will be a little late to have a head start on fighting for the season.

I do not know how all of our kits are looking but even if we are just working on our gear together, its a start!

Let me know what you guys think and lets start hammering out some plans/schedules!
"Money can't buy Happyness but it can buy Jagermister and thats kinda the same thing"

-Loki
ahrimen
Galatian Citizen

Re: Training.....

Post by ahrimen »

Saturday would be good for me I'm in Ny all week long.
It’s not arrogance when you’ve bled for it.
Ahrimen Rex - Former Warlord of Galatia
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Saturday's are tricky for me, but by all means keep trying. I'm posting my issues below, but that does not mean it is a bad idea or that I cannot attend.

I teach every fifth Saturday, and I am teaching this Saturday, March 7.
Also, Jackson's 1st Bday party is Saturday the 21st. Technically, it starts at noon, but that is too tight for me/others.
Finally, the girls (Missy et al) go to dance class Saturday mornings, which may make it tricky for me. She is usually done around 10:30, so she might be willing to come back to the Padencov's after class. 11 am may be more realistic.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

I wouldn't mind hosting a practice at my house, as I'm getting a bit round in the belly. It would have to be limited to just us, Galatians, as my yard is not that big.

I was thinking Saturdays during the day since it's light outside and the weekend. I'm not set on a specific time, but figured earlier in the day is better. So if 11-1pm, or 12-2pm is better that's fine by me. Maybe we can even throw a burger on the grill afterwards and have a cold beer. Kids that show up can have play dates. If that doesn't work, perhaps Sunday will do as well, but a lot of people have church that day so that would need to be later in the day I think.

But I don't expect to start this up at my house until it gets warmer and drier - not fighting in frozen mud! I'm mentally in hibernation still..
My love for you is like a truck..
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

Obviously I won't be around for this for a while, but that sounds like it would be perfect for when I am!
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
lilscutt
Galatian Citizen

Post by lilscutt »

If and when I can participate, Saturday mornings are ok as long I get done by 11:30am. So I vote for an earlier start time, but as of now I'm out of the picture until I figure out my shoulder stuff.
penseur
Galatian Citizen

Post by penseur »

When are the practices planning on starting up?
Lokki
Galatian Citizen

Post by Lokki »

Ok, so 4 of us are ok with a 11am start and 1pm finish at serban's for now.

Clay, get your shoulder fixed, there is no excuse that you can;t do SOMETHING to improve it or make some kind of recovery, your health is worth more they what ever your expecting to get dollar wise, I hope your getting advice from a doctor and not your lawyer....

Fritz, can't wait for you to get here!

Anyone with any suggestions is great as for making this work, but as soon as Serban is ready to have use over for training I would like to start, even if its just 2 of us!

I love the idea of having lunch after, in fact i encourage it, I'll bring something, prob some sausages. So lets lock it in for 11-1.

Serban, what Saturday would you want to start?

FYI if and event is on I recommend that we do that and cancel the practice unless you just can;t make the event, Rather whoop some ass then risk hurting my Bros.

What say you Galatia?
"Money can't buy Happyness but it can buy Jagermister and thats kinda the same thing"

-Loki
hypo
Galatian Citizen

Post by hypo »

Every Saturday is CCD for the kids, so I wouldn't be readily available until late April or early May.
hýÞö, Aka-Guðmundr Feitrháls Þórsson, Aka-Nugget. Aka-Cramman Ruithais
The Order of Ansuz
Citizen of Galatia
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

I was thinking about starting sometimes in April, probably mid-April (after easter is done, since those weekends are usually booked with family and stuff). Maybe the 18th can be the first practice.
My love for you is like a truck..
Gregor
Galatian

Post by Gregor »

While it sounds good and I am avail on some Saturdays I will not be able to make a commitment for even a semi regular thing. That being said I would like to have us have a regular training schedule.

Gregor
The Greatest Archer in the known Universe
boagrius
Galatian Citizen

Post by boagrius »

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a practice on the 18 th at serbans around 12. I'll be bringing mike down with another guy nap that's to shields. Hope everyone shows for this.
what is best in life,to crush the enemy, se them driven before you and hear the lamindation of there women!