aluminum shield

General SCA/Markland-related discussion

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Re: aluminum shield

Post by Berserker »

Then my other issue is how to I replicate that nice center strip that all the neat celtic shields have down the middle (like the attached). I doubt anyone makes aluminum shield with that makeup, so I probably have to add it myself somehow.
9392b6157e25efe5d277e1230b5e0d48.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My love for you is like a truck..
Lokki
Galatian Citizen

Post by Lokki »

If I were going to use a Oval i would prob start with one that is my with Shoulder to Shoulder and a height of mid-thigh to Shoulder. also i would just use a flat piece of aluminum and use a shield boss for the grip
"Money can't buy Happyness but it can buy Jagermister and thats kinda the same thing"

-Loki
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

Thank you. One other question. How do you hold the shield when you have a center grip? Is the bar horizontal (so the palm faces down), or is it vertical (so you are holding it like you would hold a tankard of beer)?
Lokki
Galatian Citizen

Post by Lokki »

Since mine is round I actually hold it at a 15-20 deg angle from Vertical.

With yours I would likely hold it Vertical, because you will be turning your body and placing it to the apropriate hip to make your blocks.
"Money can't buy Happyness but it can buy Jagermister and thats kinda the same thing"

-Loki
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

On a round, I would set the grip vertical. On a larger shield, I feel like I'd still mount it vertical, because that makes more sense muscularly. But that might be worth testing with some scrap wood. To the best of my knowledge, celtic shield were wood covered in bronze, and were generally flat. Minus hoplons, I don't think you see rounded shields until heaters.

Bronze age shields were generally rectangular in shape, albeit, Romans made them wider. Baby need...be back
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Back to rectangles, so I've seen quite a few examples of ovals that are really rectangles with round tops and bottoms. In theory, if you want to still want to arm mount, you could play with that. You could make it more oval as well, so long as you maintain the corner distance from you hand. Be back
Mor Grendel

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

A way to fake a spine and keep it light might be to open up a golf tube and shape with a heat gun. Beat it up a little so it not so perfectly round. Also, I have an aluminum rectangle, but I think mine is heavy for what it is.
Mor Grendel

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

Thank you all! This is a lot of good advice =)
boagrius
Galatian Citizen

Post by boagrius »

So I've been looking and thinking a lot about the grip. Horizontal seem historical and vertical seem what we would do.

Neither feels very comfortable when I've tried holding them. Since I plan on doing an oval on my new shield as well this is what I plan.

The boss will have mounting holes evenly placed all around and the handle can be attached on any two holes opposite of each other.

This will allow me to place the handle at varring degrees to find the one that feels the best without having to rebuild it every time.

Also I haven't found a good way to reproduce the spine on the front without adding to much weight. I'll let you know soon as I make progress on that front.
what is best in life,to crush the enemy, se them driven before you and hear the lamindation of there women!