aluminum shield

General SCA/Markland-related discussion

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

aluminum shield

Post by Berserker »

Hey Fritz,
How heavy is your aluminum shield? My wooden one is about 10 lbs.

I was thinking about going with a more celtic look, so I was looking at an oval version (maybe like the one below). I'm not sure how fighting changes if the shield no longer has corners. Perhaps if the oval is large enough (24x36), it won't make a difference? Would still want to use that as an arm strapped shield (not center hold).

http://westcoastarmoury.com/index.php?m ... cts_id=185

This it's worth it? Anyone else have any experience with aluminum shields, or fighting with non heater shaped shields?
My love for you is like a truck..
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Re: aluminum shield

Post by Berserker »

This shape is really what I am aiming for, but I can't fight center boss with a shield this big, so the center boss would be decoration. But I've also not seen aluminum shields this shape. The one in the link posted previously was the closest I could find to resemble this and I liked how it looked.
8ae4df0a43c85485669366fa516adea2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

Clayson has fought with a aluminum shield like that before. It is a different style of sword and board. Just takes some practice. it is very useful for protecting spearmen in a spear line. The couple of times I have seen Clayson do it he was really good at it. Much more useful to a spearman than a strapped shield.
~Titus, the Thawed

"Me and Abed have an agreement, if one of us dies we stage it to look like a suicide caused by the unjust cancellation of Firefly." ~Troy
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

My shield is extremely light, but I couldn't tell you want the exact weight is. I'm almost certain that the handle with basket to cover my hand weights more than the shield itself. You really have to beware when losing corners, but I imagine you could get used to it. It would likely open up some shots that are more difficult for normal kite shields. My shield was made by windrose armory. I found something close to your picture here (#10): http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/index ... ucts_id=53
If you're looking for something a little more rounds, they also have some oval shapes as well: http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/index ... ucts_id=50

Overall, I love my aluminum kite shield. It's lasted forever and still has plenty of years left in it. It's well worth the extra one time investment. Part of that is the excellent quality of the windrose cuts. I probably need to re-strap it to adjust for how my body is now and how my natural stance has changed, but that is the result of what the Army has done to me, not anything with the shield. I'm thinking about getting a punch shield from them. My brother has express interest in trying that out (he's stubbornly insistent that he won't do anything before I'm back in MD), and I wouldn't mind learning another style.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

Thank you :)
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

I've been fighting center grip and I really like it. I don't feel I need as large of a shield because I keep it out from my body. It is definitely different, but so much so, that I don't miss the corners. With a kite the corner becomes an extension of your hand, and you basically block away with your hand. With a punch, the boss is th hand extension and you block into the strike. I also find that my right hip tends to shift more forward (counter-intuitive) which I think is to help with counterbalance. Perhaps if I had muscles though that would not be the case.

I would like to make a version that looks more period, perhaps with aluminum
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
lilscutt
Galatian Citizen

Post by lilscutt »

I'll never go back to a wooden shield, the aluminum shield is more durable and light. You become faster with your blocking and are able to move faster when on offense. Also I find that you can take a beating and not get tired. It takes a little time to get use to but Once you do you will be satisfied. You look online you can get the shape you want.
lilscutt
Galatian Citizen

Post by lilscutt »

windrosearmoury.com is where I brought my shield and it was great. I just looked on there website and they have something close to what your looking for but not exact.
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

Thank you!
boagrius
Galatian Citizen

Post by boagrius »

Are you looking for a slight curve or just a flat. If flat give me the dimensions.
what is best in life,to crush the enemy, se them driven before you and hear the lamindation of there women!
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

I was looking for a curve as well, but thank you Chris. Better protection, especially if I give up the corners. It would still be a large shield about the same dimensions of my kite shield and would be arm strapped (not center grip). The center boss would only be there for decoration.

I'm still weighing the options of the actual shape I want (that more roman oval looking shield I posted earlier, or a more traditional celtic looking one from windrose). I feel like the roman one would be better protection. I don't know..

I appreciate the help and advice!
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Scutoms were square as were some targes.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

I don't want a scutum. That's too roman. I think I still want an oval one which is more celtic.
Lokki
Galatian Citizen

Post by Lokki »

If you intend to strap your Aluminum shield that does not have corners, your going to miss your corners! Its what you block with...or should be blocking with.

I feel that the weight will have its pros and cons:
Light shields, you can run faster, and its inertia will be easy to change, however it will go flying when you block a very powerful blow.
You will be able to cheat your blocks with the lighter shield, however you should be moving your body to block more not moving the shield as much (This actually keeps you from wearing out your arm when using a wooden shield)

I think the Oval shield will be a good look, It will change how you fight. I would strongly encourage that you go with a center grip aluminum oval, and here is why, loosing the corners will make it much more difficult to block with, and it will probably be strapped awkwardly with the oval shape. However as it was said before, since the shield is lighter you will not have as much weight when you punch out with it even though it will be larger, thus providing a large "shadow" of protection as a center grip. Center grips can cause you to easily over block, however I can work with you to learn how not to and to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the center grip if you like.

If you insist on strapping it that is fine too, I just don't see how it would work better that way, however I'd be happy to work with you on that too!
"Money can't buy Happyness but it can buy Jagermister and thats kinda the same thing"

-Loki
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

Tthank you. So if I got with a center grip, that means it wouldn't need to be as big either. Does the curve matter anymore at that point, or a flat shield would be just as good? I ask because if the shield can be flat it's cheaper and also I can really make it look like a traditional celtic shield.

Though traditional celtic shields were still very large. How easy can you fight with a large shield that has a center grip? I'm really only familiar with the small round shields with a center grip and even then, just barely.