MD HB0879 - Ut Oh!

General SCA/Markland-related discussion

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

hypo
Galatian Citizen

MD HB0879 - Ut Oh!

Post by hypo »

Looks like Maryland is trying to ban the use/transport/selling/owning of airsoft guns.
Tactical Airsoft Arena wrote:ATTENTION: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MESSAGE THAT WE MAY EVER POST. PLEASE READ AND TAKE ACTION TO SAVE AIRSOFT IN MARYLAND.
It was only a matter of time, and that time is here. Airsoft in Maryland is under attack! Maryland's lawmakers would like to make the use, sale, possession or transportation of any airsoft replicas (which they categorize as "imitation firearms") illegal.
This means that if you play, sell, own or have an airsoft replica in your car, you would be considered a criminal and could serve a jail sentence of up to 1 year, and or a fine of up to $1000 per violation.
This bill would likely put us out of business and end airsoft in the state of Maryland forever.
More information can be found in this link: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMa ... &ys=2016rs
The bill had it's first reading yesterday and will be going to Referral to Committee soon. This is where you can make your voice be heard! You, the citizen is encouraged to voice your view on the proposed bill by mail, or personal appearance. You can also contact the delegate of your district to tell him or her what you think about this bill.
Please be constructive and non-confrontational. Have some solid talking points to address when speaking with your delegate and speak concisely. Form a group and gather signatures. If you're under 18, ask your parents and other relatives to get involved. Now is your chance to make a difference!
Here is a list of your Delegates by district:
http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/06 ... edist.html
We will update you with more information as it comes through.
Thank you all for your time and good luck to all of us!
hýÞö, Aka-Guðmundr Feitrháls Þórsson, Aka-Nugget. Aka-Cramman Ruithais
The Order of Ansuz
Citizen of Galatia
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Re: MD HB0879 - Ut Oh!

Post by Fritz »

Oh good lord.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
hypo
Galatian Citizen

Post by hypo »

So i sent a letter to my Delegates.
The Order of Ansuz
Citizen of Galatia
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Same state that tried to ban ham radios because they might be used in a crime or by terrorist. I forget if it passed though, it got added to a cell phone bill and I seem to remember that had issues.

Ironically, there is a town in West Virginia where cell phones and wifi are illegal - supposedly due to some sensitive satellite dish or something. I need to look it up, and take family vacations there. Haha Jackson!
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

I've heard of the place. Some kind of observatory I think.

On the main topic, I'm going to have faith in reason here. It's a stupid bill that will hopefully go no where.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Captain Tightpants
hypo
Galatian Citizen

Post by hypo »

The Order of Ansuz
Citizen of Galatia
boagrius
Galatian Citizen

Post by boagrius »

To fritz. Reason in government... Ha!
what is best in life,to crush the enemy, se them driven before you and hear the lamindation of there women!
hypo
Galatian Citizen

Post by hypo »

Hearings Scheduled:

Senate Bill 0742 – Hearing 3/09/16 at 1:00 p.m. – http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMa ... &ys=2016RS

House Bill 0879 – Hearing 3/15/16 at 1:00 p.m. – http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMa ... &ys=2016RS
The Order of Ansuz
Citizen of Galatia
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

Looking at the bill's sponsors, I'm guessing I know why this is being introduced. They're mostly Baltimore representatives, with one from PG County, and one from St. Mary's County. With only one exception, they're from black communities. This is probably intended to protect people from police mistaking an airsoft weapon for a real weapon and shooting the owner. Tamir Rice is probably the most famous example, but such police shootings are fairly common in black communities. Rather than address the actual problems that lead to these shootings, I guess they just thought it would be great idea to take airsoft weapons out of the equation all together. Like Cook said, politician logic.

This is why I generally prefer divided government. Unless basic civility and purpose of governance breaks down (see the federal level), it prevents one party from developing group think and pushing terrible ideas through. Even if this somehow makes it through the General Assembly and the Senate (which I doubt to begin with), a Hogan veto is almost certain.

Captain Tightpants
hypo
Galatian Citizen

Post by hypo »

Both Bills have been removed and are no longer up for a vote. They heard the objections at the 3/9/16 hearing and dropped the bill. The next day the withdrew the bill for the 3/15/16 hearing.
The Order of Ansuz
Citizen of Galatia
Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

Not surprising. Deadpool's common sense superpower has prevailed.

Captain Tightpants