Garb

General SCA/Markland-related discussion

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Titus
Galatian Citizen

Garb

Post by Titus »

Where is a good site to order Garb online from? I am trying to get some ordered to be ready for by the time I get home in July for my two weeks.
~Titus, the Thawed

"Me and Abed have an agreement, if one of us dies we stage it to look like a suicide caused by the unjust cancellation of Firefly." ~Troy
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

I got all mine from Museum Replica

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/Home.aspx

I like their shirts (the brown one and the studded leather belt you saw me wear at the last war you came with us was from this store).
My love for you is like a truck..
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

That is kind of exactly what I was thinking and was hoping you would answer the post. I just wanted to give everybody a chance to answer instead of just asking you specifically. I know Gooseman Foreskin knows alot of sites along the ancient lines.
~Titus, the Thawed

"Me and Abed have an agreement, if one of us dies we stage it to look like a suicide caused by the unjust cancellation of Firefly." ~Troy
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

What style did you get? I looked under Celtic and all they had were Kilts
~Titus, the Thawed

hypo
Galatian Citizen

Post by hypo »

Tight-Ass,

as far as garb goes Pennsic and Amanda's Mom. Museum Replica sounds good. I got my boots from there.
What Period are you thinking?
What style?
hýÞö, Aka-Guðmundr Feitrháls Þórsson, Aka-Nugget. Aka-Cramman Ruithais
The Order of Ansuz
Citizen of Galatia
Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

Here's specifically what i bought from them.
The belt:
http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/ ... _belt.aspx

The brown shirt (and i also got a blue one of the same kind):
http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/ ... shirt.aspx

Black generic pants (no pockets which sucks..really makes you need a pouch):
http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/ ... tfits.aspx

These are not the cheapest, so if you can get someone (like Amanda's mom) to make you something that will be less expensive. But at that time i just wanted those items (and i like them a lot -- particularly the shirts and the belt).
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

Did this site close or is it having server errors?
~Titus, the Thawed

Berserker
Galatian Citizen

Post by Berserker »

From those errors i think that's just some server issues.
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

Okay, I bought one Blue shirt and two Brown ones, we just can't wear the blue ones at the same time. I ordered like 8 or nine pairs of Plaid or solid pajama pants so I should be fine on pants.
~Titus, the Thawed

Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

This site seems to have some decently priced garb. More specifically, I ordered a couple of viking tunics. You can customize the main color, secondary color, and trim color all for 66 US dollars. I ordered two, just have to see how the actual size fits.

They have a bunch of other stuff also. All half way decent prices. Think this should be added to the links sites.

http://www.by-the-sword.com
~Titus, the Thawed

lilkender
Warrior In Training

Post by lilkender »

"living history" ... poly/cotton... someone take me away from this website before the twitching starts again...
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

Hey you have to remember that Galatians are a bunch of stick jocks. Your lucky that some Galatians wear clothes at all, and I mean that literally.

109 to 117
~Titus, the Thawed

lilkender
Warrior In Training

Post by lilkender »

Hmm, I might not mind SOME of them not wearing clothes.
:wink:

Some hints from a seamstress:
Poly/cotton is easier to take care of, just wash on cold and throw in the dryer, less shrinkage, fewer wrinkles. Plus it's the cheapest.

Pure cotton breathes better and keeps you more comfortable, the maker should have pre-shrunk the fabric but you might get some shrinkage, and it holds wrinkles.

Linen breathes even better and wicks away sweat well, but you definitely have to worry about shrinkage and it really holds wrinkles. Washing on cold is OK but you do not want to throw it in the dryer. It might keep shrinking and the more you dry it, the more fibers you lose to the lint trap. It also breaks down/wears out faster than a similar weight of cotton, especially if you're fighting in it. Looks most period, but is the most expensive. The sad thing (to me) is that modern linen is made to "look like linen", with slubs left in it. Higher classes in the middle ages would have had much finer linen. Only peasants would have worn the quality of linen generally made today... but you peasants don't mind that do you... 8)

Okay, fine. If anybody needs basic tunics or pants, PM or email me and we'll talk. I can do the basic things cheaper than any of those webpages. I don't have time for fancy stuff though. I want to make myself some new things before Pennsic, too.

Say, does Galatia concentrate on one time and place? I never knew...
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

Galatia's period would be ancient Iron-Age Celt (La Tene) from the Carpathian Mountains (Modern Romainia and Turkey) in the year 220 B.C. Most of us are Celtish this being some form of Romanized Celt, or Hellenic Celt, or Viking/Celt. I can't back up that last one.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.