Leather Hides

General SCA/Markland-related discussion

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Titus
Galatian Citizen

Leather Hides

Post by Titus »

Where is a good site to order leather hides from and how long does it normally take for an order to arrive to MD?
~Titus, the Thawed

"Me and Abed have an agreement, if one of us dies we stage it to look like a suicide caused by the unjust cancellation of Firefly." ~Troy
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

I am trying to make a new Lorica for Pensic. Have some questions about leather.

Okay, what oz. and what kind do I want, cured, tanned? I am thinking tanned 16 oz cow hide, but what would I need?
~Titus, the Thawed

"Me and Abed have an agreement, if one of us dies we stage it to look like a suicide caused by the unjust cancellation of Firefly." ~Troy
hypo
Galatian Citizen

Post by hypo »

16-17oz is good vegetable tanned
hýÞö, Aka-Guðmundr Feitrháls Þórsson, Aka-Nugget. Aka-Cramman Ruithais
The Order of Ansuz
Citizen of Galatia
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

I think we have used Texas Wholesale. I think there is a link in our links section. You may need to call not order online though.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

Have a couple of more questions. What oz do straps and belts normally get made from? Also, what is bridal leather, I found a couple of decently priced hides of 15-16oz black bridal leather. If it is the right tanning process it would save me from having to dye it and it would be a great find. Plus it would save me about half of what I was going to have to spend elsewhere.
~Titus, the Thawed

Kaliban
Anglesey guy

Post by Kaliban »

its good stuff go for it i use to for my horses as for straps you cna make them out of 10oz
"Only the Dead have seen the end of WAR"
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

This site is having a sale on their premium armor quality leather hides. Vegetable tanned and all. It is sold by the bend which is about 15 sq feet at a price of $6.49. I looked at it and it used to be $9.99 and was about $150 a bend, so this significantly cheaper. It is for this month only, so if you need some leather for new armor, this is the cheapest I have seen besides ebay.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/Specials.asp
~Titus, the Thawed

lilkender
Warrior In Training

Post by lilkender »

I hear Tandy has decent latigo BUT if you order online or by phone, they'll send you the piece that has been sitting around and nobody wants... better to call their store to see if they have some, if you can get in there.

Tandy Leather #116 BALTIMORE
Toll Free: 866-663-1494
Manager: Bill Davis
132 Eastern Blvd
Essex, MD 21221

baltimore@tandyleather.com

BTW I saw someone on eBay was using the SAME photos as Tandy... don't know if they stole their photos or if they're getting their leather from Tandy and reselling it!
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

Kind of hard for me to go there or to call, seeing as I am in Iraq. Thanks for the info though, I was just posting for other peoples knowledge anyways. Did not realize that the were in Maryland.
~Titus, the Thawed

lilkender
Warrior In Training

Post by lilkender »

In Iraq! Woah. PM me if you want me to send any goodies, I've discovered that shipping to Iraq is not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be, and I have goodies just lying around that I meant to send to strangers, so...

Some people tell me they use elk for straps. It will stretch before it breaks. I haven't tried it yet but it is definitely stretcher.
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

Actually, shipping to Iraq is really only shipping to New York State. It is a New York zip code for all of the overseas APO addresses, which really peaves me because alot of online sites will not ship to APOs, or will only ship certain things like CDs and DVDs. Damn you Best Buy, I had to ship a Removeable Hard Drive to my parents and have them mail it to me because of that silly company policy.

106 to 117
~Titus, the Thawed

Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

ATTN: Fritz
~Titus, the Thawed

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Post by Fritz »

yeah saw this just after I make my post. That place is a bit on the pricy side.
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

Well, I actually got mine from ebay, and pretty cheaply. But this was the cheapest site that I saw with extensive searching on the web. If you get a membership it is cheaper and they have monthly specials you just have to check out every so often. They actually send me a newsletter every month that keeps me updated.
~Titus, the Thawed