Leather

General SCA/Markland-related discussion

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Fritz
Galatian Citizen

Leather

Post by Fritz »

I'm considering reworking my kit, making some improvements and giving most of my old stuff most to my brother. Two things though: can anyone think of a durable thread I can use besides 5-50 cord? The knots of 5-50 can get somewhat uncomfortable since they tie so thick and you have to burn the ends. Second, where can I get the actual leather? The link we have to texas wholesale either doesn't work or the company has gone under. I want something like 16 oz right?
Kaliban
Anglesey guy

Post by Kaliban »

just call them or look them up on the net .. otherwise if you want ot tie leather together there is a thread which i cant remember what it is an then there is senuw(sp?)
"Only the Dead have seen the end of WAR"
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

I have posted on this subject already. Everything I have found out looking for leather is in that post.
~Titus, the Thawed

"Me and Abed have an agreement, if one of us dies we stage it to look like a suicide caused by the unjust cancellation of Firefly." ~Troy
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

I use either sinew or a waxed thread. I don't know if the thread has a name, but is it does it is probably something like saddle thread or leather thread (shocker). Also since sinew is waxed fibers, you can actually split it with your fingers and make it smaller if you need to. So always buy wide sinew.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Brynhild
Warrior In Training

Post by Brynhild »

I have a whole roll of sinew the waxey thread got it for beading...
Strip chess anyone?