bidirectional straping tape

SCA/Markland-related Links, Information, and Guides

Moderators: MorGrendel, hypo

Rachel
Galatian Citizen

bidirectional straping tape

Post by Rachel »

http://www.mcmaster.com/#7623a73/=155zq0

As some of you already know theres new pole arm rules for Atlantia that remove the requirements for padding, but insist upon the look of a blade. This could be a strip of leather or padding or to split the middle of the ritan bowing it out with some plugs in the middle. Doing this requires good straping tape at the top and bottom of the split, I belive to make this new kind of weapon hold up best bidirectional straping tape is the best suited for the purpose.

So two things, first if you know of a better place to get this kind of strapping tape let me know, second, I am going to order some if you'd like to at the same time let me know and we can order together or something.
hypo
Galatian Citizen

Re: bidirectional straping tape

Post by hypo »

Atlantia Rules wrote: Section V - Weapons and Armor Standards
3.5.2.4.1 Polearms
3.5.2.4.1.1 A polearm shall be constructed so as to emulate a medieval example. Allowable examples of a medieval emulation would be a padded head in the form of a period weapon, or a split-rattan head in the form of a period weapon.
SCA Marshal’s Handbook wrote: VII. WEAPONS STANDARDS
C. Two-Handed Weapons. Weapons which may be used with one or two hands shall have the following requirements:
1. Weapons shall be constructed of rattan of not less than 1 1/4 inch (31.8 mm) in diameter (including tape). Polearms may contain blades constructed of split rattan, so long as the piece(s) are securely fastened to the haft.
Am I reading this new rule correctly. You can either pad a pole arm or take a split piece of rattan and tape it to your pole weapon and it is concidered the samething?

What the F@#$ are they thinking. Why can't I just tape up a rattan stick like you can in the East? Why should I tape additional piece of wood that has no function than to make the stick look more like a pole weapon? Wouldn't it be safer to just tape the stick up than to add peices that can wear and fly off the stick?

Please tell me that I just read the rule wrong, please?
hýÞö, Aka-Guðmundr Feitrháls Þórsson, Aka-Nugget. Aka-Cramman Ruithais
The Order of Ansuz
Citizen of Galatia
Rachel
Galatian Citizen

Post by Rachel »

you read right, but theres a trick. I'll show you or ask Mor Grendel, maybe he can put up a diagram or something, not me though. The current King of Atlantia changed that rule and also made himself a new pole arm to the specs that is different from what you might expect. A split in the middle of a solid peice with some plugs to hold it open. think the same concept as a shini (kendo stick) how the split bamboo bows out. As for why not just like the East, I dunno, incremental change is easier to intitute? he wanted them to still look like bladed weapons not sticks is what he said.
hypo
Galatian Citizen

Post by hypo »

crazy :?
hýÞö, Aka-Guðmundr Feitrháls Þórsson, Aka-Nugget. Aka-Cramman Ruithais
The Order of Ansuz
Citizen of Galatia
ahrimen
Galatian Citizen

Post by ahrimen »

my under standing is when you make a hit the 2 pieces of rattan "clack" together for a better shot recognition the padded ones made a "thump" that a lot of people didn't take... well that's how i heard it . personally i think people auta just take their shots.
It’s not arrogance when you’ve bled for it.
Ahrimen Rex - Former Warlord of Galatia
MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

It is as crazy sick as you think.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Titus
Galatian Citizen

Post by Titus »

Home Depot sells the 3M bi-directional. I have had no problems using it with my hammers.
~Titus, the Thawed

"Me and Abed have an agreement, if one of us dies we stage it to look like a suicide caused by the unjust cancellation of Firefly." ~Troy