MorGrendel
Warlord

Galatia Handbook, “Year Fifteen” ca. 2011

Post by MorGrendel »

Galatia Handbook, “Year Fifteen” ca. 2011
Version 1.1

Hello new recruit,
Welcome to Galatia.

If you are reading this, chances are someone has urged you to learn more about us. As you have likely gleaned, our Web site is a wealth of information, as well as the other materials that are floating around. Being the author of some of those materials, I can tell you that they can provide you a glimpse at who we were, and who we have become. So I will begin this with a disclaimer; please take everything you read about us with a grain of salt. Galatia has changed a lot over the years. I've seen this group be the largest on the field, and I've seen it as low as two determined warriors; I have seen four constitutions, three warlords, two confederations, and one great schism. If anything, experience has thought us that change is the engine of Galatia.

With that in mind, assume nothing is set in stone. Question everything. Galatia thrives on new ideas and new members stepping up and making an impact. My hope with these pages is to provide some guidance, so that you might share in our future and know what is means to be a Galatian. This brings me to our first rule:

You Owe Nothing; You Earn Everything.

Its that simple. You'll cut your teeth on that line no matter what your future with us is. There will be no hazing, no debasing, no holding out and enduring. You are on your own to forge your own path. However, you are not alone, we will guide you.

Before I can continue discussing your path, I must palaver for just a moment on our history so you might understand how we got here to year fifteen. Out of high school we founded this group, and I think it is no stretch to say our intelligence and maturity levels were right there at the high school level. Galatia was called something else then, but it was a fraternity none the less. Overtime, we grew up and our opinions about of ourselves changed, and the group dynamic changed with us. What started as a monocratic fraternity, became a democratic brotherhood, which became a feudal household/knighthood, which gave way to the oligarchical peerage we use today.

So what is an oligarchical peerage? The answer is quite simple, actually. The future of Galatia is decided by its Citizens; the only voting members of Galatia. New Citizens are created by a unanimous vote by all current Citizens. All Citizens are considered equals and one voice equals one vote. The only exception to this rule is that the Warlord (or his acting proxy) may cast a deciding vote in the case of a tie. However, to my knowledge this power has never been used.

Now you might think what I have described is a democracy, but it is not. Galatia is also made up of non-voting members called Freemen. However, Freemen are not without a voice, and you can be assured for now that all logical and intelligent voices will be heard.

While I was warlord I learned:
"The highest form of government is what people hardly even realize is there." -Tao Te Ching

I always interpreted that to mean structure is good, but it does not need to be in your face. This idea permeates into all things Galatian. From the battlefield to our government, Galatia is not lead by a omnipotent figurehead or sagely great counsel, rather, it is run on the individual level with members discussing ideas and coming to a consensus. Very little voting is actually ever done. I like to liken this to a family, where sis doesn't have to sleep outside when she disagrees with the family vacation plans. Everyone in the family finds a way to compromise, and I like to think that is how we run things. Every so often, there is the need for a family meeting, or Citizen-Only meeting, but we try to limit those as much as possible.

I think the strongest point I can make here before moving on is that everyone can belong the Galatian family or tribe. Experience might allow for some people to have more of a say than others, but I assure you the line will never be drawn on sex, religion, race, or age, only by what you bring to the table.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.