Ethos: Rule 1: You are not special

Development of Strategies and Tactics

Moderators: Berserker, MorGrendel, hypo

MorGrendel
Warlord

Post by MorGrendel »

In life you quickly learn that whatever it is you are trying to do, there is always going to be someone who is better at it. You are not special, you are not a hero, and one man cannot change the face of a battle.

However, a team can. A single man charges, while a group surges. A single man survives, while a column breaks through. A man pins, a unit envelopes. All concepts, strategies, and tactics should be rendered through a filter of group-think, not as single individuals. One should not think, "What am I supposed to do", but rather, "What is the group doing," and from that one can figure out how they fit into the unit’s mission.

No man, no matter how big of a mountain or skilful as a duellist, is a match for two men working as a team. Only in the movies or in comic books does a single man defeat a group. Even then, if you look closely, the warrior is really only fighting one person at a time.

Never, take on someone alone, grab a buddy. Do not fall prey to "honor" or "fairness". Do not listen to your ego or pride. Do not feel that only you can "fix" a problem that you see. All of these are undesirable habits. They trick you into abandoning your unit, leaving your unit with a false perception that you are there and that they can look to you for support. If something needs to change, communicate it, and solve it as a unit.
Mor Grendel
If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.